Monday, April 24, 2006

Funerals & Viruses

Funerals are, by definition, sad. Yet, as I walked into the church this Saturday, I reflected on Uncle Gene and his life. And suddenly, I wasn't so sad. I didn't cry really. I got glossy eyed, but no real tears. As the minister and misc family member spoke, it transported me to those happier times. Those times when things were good, and happy, and whole. And I was glad to have had those times with Uncle Gene.

Uncle Gene, like all of us, had his demons. But, I truly believe he did the best he could. But in front of all those demons was the gentle giant. A man who would do anything, give anything to anyone. The minister said it best in that Uncle Gene knew no strangers. And that's a lesson for us all.

During the service, I got to thinking, again, about my own life. And wondered, would people stand up there and speak about my life in a way that would make me proud? Am I doing, in my life, all that I can/want? At the end of day, am I who I want to be? Am I living the life I want? And suddenly, I felt the urge to live more. No more waiting for the "right" time to go to Vancouver or Victoria or San Francisco or all the places I've never been. No more waiting until the right time to tell people you love them and want them in your life. Life is way too short, and way too precious for me to wait now. Be afraid. Jenn's on the loose again. (If any of you remember me during the Sherrie/Cancer years you'll know what I mean by that).

Viruses
I have a virus. A sick, disgusting, green, violating, probing, annoying, unwanted virus. On my computer of course. It kills me. I've never had a virus before and I've gotta tell ya...it sucks. I have 500+ songs on my computer, 1000+ recipes I've collected, all my PM stuff, all my addresses...well frankly, everything. If I lose some of that, I'll just be sick. And yes, this is a lesson in backing up. Dammit!

I loaded McAfee last night and was hoping it would take care of the problem virus...but it hasn't exactly done that. It found it. But it can't delete/clean or quarantine the files. Sick! I feel so violated. Damn stupid virus. Ahhh...but maybe I can go back to Best Buy where I allowed the cute computer geeky guy to charge me $$ to load memory on my computer...just because he was cute.

2 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

"... knew no strangers..."

"... probing... virus..."

Eghads! There's so much to comment on! Comment overload!!!

... nice post, though. ;)

Al & Jo said...

Keep your virus to your self please!

And, I, like you, remember Gene as the one man who was gentle and a giant. He was my brother as well as my brother-in-law. He always called me "sunshine" and I always seemed to smile when he was around. I will truly miss him, however, I am glad he is done fighting his demons.