Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Instant coffee, calf liver and Becks

First thing that has struck a memory chord with me is the instant coffee. The coffee reminds me of my days in high school where we had instant coffee in our room before breakfast. There’s something very familiar about the flavor or lack thereof. Ohh how I miss my Starbucks!

I went on a tour of Cirencester last night. We got a later start than we planned so many of my photos aren’t so great. I didn’t have time to put on the “photographer” hat so I apologize that these aren’t of great quality. Don’t fear though, I’m heading out on my own tonight to wonder through the town and do some real shooting. It’s such a beautiful little town, I could spend days wondering and finding new things to shoot. Every cobblestone, every door, every hedge it seems has history to it. Each of the houses/buildings that are historical have a date on them – many of them are from the 1700’s or 1600’s. Al is a fantastic tour guide. She’s quite knowledgeable about her little town.

After our round about tour, we stopped to have a drink and “nibbles” – which is a separate category from appetizers I found out. Though they looked the same as the appetizers. We sat and just got a menu when her husband, Chris, joined us. He’s a good old bloke. Funny and quite amusing. He’s been teaching me about the Tour de France and a few other sport types.

The waitress approached us and before we could say anything she blurted out in a very heavy Northern English accent “We ‘ave no calf liver.” Now, imagine if you will the stunned look I must have had. Never EVER in my life has anyone ever uttered those words to me in a restaurant. Calf liver? Surely she must have been joking. But no, she was quite serious. I wanted a beer but had no idea which one was good. Chris ordered me a Becks. Hooked! It’s a refreshing beer for me and not heavy at all. So I had a few.

As I perused the menu I had to ask for translation of things like picalilli, mash, belini, etc. I was at a loss with what to order. Thankfully Al took charge and we ordered several appetizers and nibbles. We sat, ate, chatted, laughed, ate some more and of course drank. Her husband Chris must have put down 4 pints of beer the entire time we were there. And he appeared to be non worse the wiser. They were joking with me that some of their beers aren’t filtered too much so occasionally you find a piece of straw in the beer. I almost believed him. Almost.

Tonight I’m off to wonder Cirencester on my own, and then to a Working Man’s club (which reminds me of prostitutes for some reason) for beer and skittles (it’s a game – not the candy).

Norman Church in the center of town.


Just an old door. It had a significance of which I can't remember right now. Something about the oldest door in the country of something ridiculous about that.

Notice the buildings are leaning. Its hard to see, but they are. Trust me.


Their street name signs are generally on the walls of the buildings. I found this one exceptionally pretty.


Another pretty door. There are tons of old doors here. As we were wondering around, Al would say something like, "oh that building is owned by someone". When I'd ask how she knew that, she'd say, "Well the color of the door." Dah. There is a family who owned a vast majority of Cirencester and property that is still under the family have tan doors. Red doors mean the building is owned by another, etc.


The barracks. Yes,barracks. I don't know the history behind why they are the barracks, but I guarantee you I will. Interestingly enough, the company CM was built off of used to work in this building.

3 comments:

Teaux said...

I'm so jealous! Good food, good company and surrounded by gorgeous historical scenery. Soak it up Jenn! Lynwood is still where you get your mail.

Nicki said...

STOP WRITING ABOUT FOOD!! You make me hungry as hell when you describe it so well.

Anandi said...

Woo hoo! Sounds like a great trip already.