Monday, May 06, 2024

The Big D

Welp...it's official. I have Type 2 Diabetes. I was officially diagnosed with it last week. I am not surprised at all. I'm pissed. 

I know. I know. I got myself here. I made all the bad food choices and it landed me here. THAT's why I'm pissed. 

I remember watching Dad give himself insulin and I thought, "That's not going to be me." I sword I'd do better. And I did. For a little. 

Then COVID came about. And something in me switched. I just started eating. I didn't care what I ate. I wasn't trying to make healthy decisions. I just ate. 

I gained all the weight I lost in 2019. Thankfully I haven't gained more. But that aside, the bad eating is what got me in the situation I'm in. 

Next steps are to visit the doctor on May 13th to figure out the medication I'm going to have to go on. The thing is my appt is a day before we take off for our trip. I am not taking any new medications and then leaving the country. No sir. No how. So that'll have to wait until I get back. 

I've been eating low carb since I got the diagnosis. My A1C is quite high and the doc wants me to really cut back on all the white refined sugars, flour, breads, rice, pasta, chips etc. So basically everything I love. But I did my grocery shopping and focused on low carb goodness and I'm doing pretty good with it. 

Low carb has come a long way. I don't feel deprived and as long as I don't feel deprived and I feel full I should be ok. It's when I don't plan and I'm hungry that my decision making skills go to hello. 

So stay tune. This adventure will be put on hold until I get back from our cruise. 

Speaking of which, we leave in 8 days. 

0 comments: