Monday, May 27, 2024

Port 9: Venice; and we're done

Here we are ... Venice. 

My stomach is a little off and a little ok. We got off the ship pretty quickly. We found the taxi line and stood there for a bit. I noticed a lady walking up and down another line offering people a shuttle to the airport. Since our hotel was near the airport I thought we'd give that a shot. 

Turned out it was 70EU each. The airport was a good hour and a half away and the taxi would have cost us a fortune. 

We got to the hotel, sorta checked in and left out luggage. Another couple there was headed into Venice via a taxi and asked us if we wanted to share it with them. I hopped on it right away. Janet thought we should take the train, but I wasn't in the mood to figure the train out. Plus splitting a taxi 4 ways was pretty inexpensive. 

In Venice we got on a water taxi to take us to San Marcos Square. Venice is such a beautiful and unique city. And, oh my god, the people. So many people. 






We stopped to have lunch since we had a couple of hours to spend before our 3pm walking tour. 


After lunch, and a potty break, we walked around the corner to San Marcos square. 




Again, so...many... people. Back in 1987 even during Carnivale it didn't feel this packed.

We met our walking tour guide and started the trek through the back alleys of Venice. One of the reasons I signed us up for this walking tour was because it took you off the beaten path. 





Its hard to fathom that people actually live in Venice. Though, according to our tour guide, you need to have serious coin to live there. That doesn't surprise me. It got me wondering what these people who live here do for a living. 

After the walking tour we had a gondola ride. I was done and was about to say no thanks (in fact I think I might have said "I'm done") but the look on Janet's face told me we had to do the gondola ride. And I'm glad I did. 



It was total chaos out on the grand canal. So many boats and gondolas. The gondoliers job is one that is passed down from family member to family member. And boy are they strong. 

Grand Canal chaos



Rush hour!






After the gondola ride we trekked back to get on the water taxi to head back to where we started in the morning. I was exhausted and so very tired of people. We took a taxi back to the hotel. I told Janet I'd pay for it because, frankly, I didn't want to deal with the train and figuring all that out while exhausted. 

We had dinner in the hotel that night and it was quite tasty. Tomorrow we head home. I'm ready to be home. As I always say, it's nice to travel but nice to go home. 


0 comments: