Monday, June 29, 2020

Money Money Money

I'm sure everyone, at some point, has thought about what they'd do if they won "the big" one. The lottery that would make you a wealthy person who wouldn't have to think about $$ for the rest of their lives. 

My mom and I used to talk about this all the time. She had a laundry list of who she'd take care of, who she'd buy houses for, who's education she'd pay for etc. She would, of course, do something for herself, but only after she took care of her kids and grand kids. 

In fact, I remember one time we had a specific amount that she won. She gave all of it away and then some. 

For my part, when we played this game I was always happy to take care of her - buy her house, buy her care, send her on a trip, set her up with $$ for fun. Then I'd do stuff for myself. I rarely found I needed to take care of nieces and nephews etc. 

Now with mom gone, I have to think about what I'd actually do. I find I'm thinking more about taking care of others as well. 

Here's what I'd do...though I reserve the right to not do any of this if I win the big one. <insert snarky smile here>:

1. Buy a home - house/townhouse/condo - whatever.
2. Buy a fancy pants Mustang...I mean a REAL Mustang that growls. 
3. Donate to an animal charity
4. Put some $$ aside for education for any niece or nephew who wanted/needed it. This money would come with a string attached though. I wouldn't want to just give it. I'd pay for education quarter by quarter...not one LUMP sum of money.
5. I'd give each niece/nephew/greats a bit of $$. They'd all get the same amount. No strings attached. They can do whatever they want. 
6. I'd travel... ALOT. I might even bring random people with me.

And it should be stated that if this ever actually happened, the first thing I'd do is get me an accountant and lawyer. I'd want to be more responsible with the money, but it's always fun to pretend you don't have any obligations. 

What would you do?

0 comments: