Sunday, April 10, 2022

All Day Cooking...it's my fave!

Today is Sunday, the second Sunday of the month at that. If you pay attention, or have been lucky enough to earn an invite to, today is Sunday dinner! 

Sunday dinners started in 2010! I cannot believe what started as a way for me to see my friends more often has turned into a monthly event that includes traveling Sunday Dinners. It started with just a handful of friends, then grew from there. I kept adding people to the list. 

Sunday dinner started with me cooking, and only me. I wouldn't let anyone bring anything. Each dinner was a well planned meal in which everything "went" together. I loved doing this. I loved spending the day cooking and preparing something delicious that I knew everyone would enjoy. 

The first Sunday dinner menu was Spaghetti Bolognese, olive cheese bread, Caesar salad, and dipped brownie bites. It takes a day to cook and it's worth every minute. The kitchen was an absolute disaster after, but it was worth every bit of it. 


I'll admit that at the time I figured I'd do a handful of these and then get bored with it and move on. Turned out everyone loved it. Each person I invited commented how nice it was and felt very old fashion. And could we keep doing this? Who am I to disappoint my friends? 

As the years progressed, I was convinced to let others bring something. I'd cook the main "meat" and then everyone signed up for an appetizer, salad, side, and dessert. Most brought wine along with whatever they brought. 

This got to be more fun and allowed everyone to contribute to the meal. Some were feeling guilty that I was taking the brunt of the cost - which I didn't mind. Most bring something they've not made before. Some get into ruts and bring the same thing every time. What I learned is, it's ok. Whatever. I learned to chill out about it. 

This year for Sunday dinners, I decided to mix it up some. At the December Sunday dinner I had everyone put themes into a bowl and then we selected 10 out of it (10 because we'd not have one in May, and we already knew the Low Country Boil was planned for July). The group got creative. They could put in as many or as few that they want. 

The result was a list of pretty darn good themes. We started the year with a fondue party. Learned that if you're doing fondue, that you should use oil and you should have extras to eat cuz it takes so long to cook the meat. The cheese and chocolate was the highlight by far. 

Indian was a fun one. Most of the group hadn't every cooked Indian food. I made Butter Chicken which is my favorite thing ever in Indian food. 

The favorite appetizer/dessert/cocktail/wine was an interesting one. Since it was all appetizers, we were "done" with Sunday dinner by about 6:30. Full of food and happy as ever. 

Tonight is French. We'll see what everyone brings. For me? I couldn't decide what to make so I'm making Coq au Vin and Beef Bourguignon! This house smells amazing! What's interesting about these two recipes, they both have a lot of the same ingredients: bacon, wine, chicken stock, mushrooms, onions, thyme. Biggest difference is coq au vin has one more aromatic - celery. I've got the beef cooking away in the slow cooker and coq au vin in the Dutch oven in the oven on a low heat. We're going to have more food than you can imagine, but that's what being a Wraspir is all about. 

When covid hit we had to put a stop to the dinner. Or did we? No, we did not! We did zoom dinners and it was great to continue to stay connected to these people. It was odd at first, but by mid 2020 we were in the grove and spoke frequently about how we couldn't wait to get back together again. 

The other thing that has come out of these Sunday dinners are the group photos. I can't remember why I started doing it (I mean, it was probably because of scrapbooking) it just started. We'd all gather around and SNAP a photo. Then one night I had everyone do a goofy face. Now we hardly ever take a "normal" shot. Only the goofy will do. 

But beyond the food and the photo what I love the most are the people. The attendees vary a little month over month. I average about 10 people each dinner (it used to be 12 before I moved) and all those people I love. I consider them all family. I know, without a doubt, that any of them would be at my side with a hug, a meal, a smile or money. They're just amazing people and I'm so glad to call them all family. I'm not sure they realize their family. And I didn't really ask them if they wanted to be in my family, but I also don't care. Too bad! You're in! 

0 comments: