Friday, May 09, 2014

Cagliari, Sardinia Photo Stroll

So Cagliari, it turns out, wasn't overly interesting. Sardinia was conquered by everyone, and siginificantly bombed in WWII.  Consequently their history seemed a bit disjointed to me, and nothing interesting to really see.

That coupled with it being Easter Sunday....

We first stopped on a hill overlooking the salt flats and the city.



We took this opportunity to take some photos of ourselves with this view in the background. Up until this point photos of ourselves wasn't something we had too many of. So I guess we had to "prove" we were there.

Brother Mike and Sister in Law Bev

William Eugene (aka Billie) and I

Billie and Stupid-Brother-in-Law Dan

Jack, Suzi, Mom and I

And apparently Cagliari has famous flamingos. I didn't find that in any of my research but was happy to see them all the same. There were hundreds of them, and all of them just out of range for my zoom lens...so I took some shots and cropped later.


Cagliari - like many towns in Italy - was bombed in WWII. They do still have the wall that protected the city and their old town that still has much of the buildings and what not from the medieval times.


One of the many gates into the Old town.


This building was used, I believe, during WWII as a bunker for soldiers and a fortified prison. Or I could be making this up and confusing this building with other old buildings we saw throughout our trip. Wikipedia though came to my rescue, "The old town (called Castello in Italian, Casteddu de susu in Sardinian, the upper castle) lies on top of a hill, with a view of the Gulf of Cagliari (also known as Angels Gulf). Most of its city walls are intact, and feature the two early 14th-century white limestone towers, the Torre di San Pancrazio and the Torre dell'Elefante; they are both typical examples of Pisan military architecture."



"Mussolini was here".  At least that's what I thought about this left over propaganda that is still visible on an old building.

This cracked me up.  I imagined the home owners saying, "Oh I don't want a window with a balcony anymore, let's cover it."

The cathedral, Cathedral of St. Mary and St. Cecilia was busy - thanks to it being Easter Sunday.  I went inside to check it out and promptly left. There was a heavy turpentine type smell in there that just made my stomach roll. I opted to just hang outside while the others took a look. 

Walking down the hill to meet the bus, all the shops were closed. We were hoping to find at least one that would sell us gelato and maybe a cup of coffee. It had started to slightly rain on us and the wind picked up making it a little chilled.

We found this store on our walk down.  Interesting way to spell Jennifer.



Ah yes....there was a store open for gelato.  Which flavor to have?  My first scoop was Baci flavored and oh boy was it yummy.



My second scoop I wanted to try the Nutella "flavored". Only it wasn't gelato it was straight Nutella that had been frozen.  A little rich, but yummy all the same.



More photos on Cagliari can be found here.

0 comments: