Saturday, November 26, 2022

Stealing and such nonsense

I was thinking about a childhood memory this weekend that first made me mad and then made me think how easy it is to accuse someone of a wrong doing without all the evidence. 

I had someone try to steal from me and it made me think about when I was accused of stealing. 

Now in the spirit of full disclosure, I did shoplife ONCE in my life. I lifted a big comb when I was in 5th grade from the 7-11. The owner caught me. Called my mother who had to drive 45 minutes from work to come and pick me up. Oh boy was I busted! Like beyond busted. I think I might still be grounded. 

When I was in 3rd grade we lived on base in Great Falls MT. Our neighbor had a teenage daughter who used to babysit me on occasion. She was a ton of fun. We'd dress up in her "adult" clothes and play "high school". She was just awesome. 

One day we were playing and she gave me a little purse and put some chapstick/gloss in it. She showed me how to put it across my chest and carry it. She said it was "cool" and so I thought it was too. 

While in her room her Mom popped her head in and said my Mom called and they were home. So I headed home. 

When I got home, I went straight to my room to change out of my school clothes. Mom went in after to gather up the clothes and found the little purse. She came storming out of the room and I got the "Jennifer Joy get in here" voice. 

She shook the purse in front of me and yelled "What is this?" And I explained what it was and why I had it. She then accused me of stealing it. 

I swore I didn't. 

She didn't believe me. She pulled me next door. Hammered on their door and tried to force me to apologize to the babysitter for stealing it. By this time I was crying and afraid (Mom could get a little intense sometimes). After a moment the babysitter explained to Mom that I hadn't stolen it just left with it. She told her about how we were playing "high school" and she showed me how to wear it. 

Mom handed the purse back to the babysitter and apologized for bothering them. 

She marched me home. We sat down to dinner. She never apologized for accusing me of stealing. 

I asked her many years later why. She said she made such a fuss about it that she didn't feel she could. 

I tell you this because recently someone tried to steal from me in my own house. I was shocked and a little sad. I didn't make a scene. I, instead, stewed on it. And stewed on it ... and stewed on it. 

Still stewing by the way. 

0 comments: