Monday, September 04, 2023

The Story of the Mexican Meatloaf

Randomly stories will pop into my mind of something that happened with the folks and I. I suspect this happens with everyone who loses a parent. Some times the story is funny, other times they make me sad. One story pops up every now and then and it makes me smile. The story of the Mexican Meatloaf. 

Back in the day, Mom and Dad were really good about trying out new recipes. I suspect that's where I get it from, though I'm more extreme at it then they were. Mom had found this recipe and wanted to try it. She showed it to dad and he was on board. 

The night comes and mom makes this Mexican Meatloaf. Dad and I loved it. It was so much better, in my opinion, than regular meatloaf. Not to mention I really like Mexican flavors. Dad and I were thrilled because this meant, to us, that this would be something new in our rotation of recipes. We would be wrong in that assumption.


Turned out mom hated it. Dad and I couldn't believe it. How? It was "soooo good". But she stood her ground on her dislike. Dad made a comment that we'd have to make it again to check and see. 

Fast forward several months and Dad asked about making this again. Mom said she "lost the recipe". She even went so far as to look through the recipe book and the gray tin box. "Nope", she said, "It's not in here.". Dad and I took her at her word. 

We joked about the Mexican Meatloaf for years. We'd say something to mom about how she probably tore up the recipe because she hated it. She swore she did not, it must have just gotten misplaced. 

We never had Mexican Meatloaf again. 

Fast forward again, after Mom passed, I brought home her gray box of recipes. And as I was going through them I found this! 



I couldn't believe it. I literally laughed out loud and said, "You got us mom!" She had that recipe all along and hated it so much she didn't want to make it again. She didn't lie when she said she couldn't find it - she just ignored it. 

Truth be told, I've not made this again either. Meatloaf is a lot for a single person who doesn't eat leftovers. I may have to add this to a Sunday dinner or a book club dinner. 

For as long as I live, I will smile every time I think of Mexican Meatloaf. It's probably not an overly funny story to most people. I suspect it's one of those "you had to be there". We thought it was funny and I will continue to remember it as a funny story. 

God I miss Mom. 




0 comments: