Sunday, September 17, 2023

Portugal or Bust

We are so close! We leave Wednesday for Portugal! It'll be a fun adventure that I'm sure will result in great memories, some exhaustion, and maybe a couple extra pounds. 

I've spent the week getting myself ready for this trip. Following my "process" I've put together from years of experience to get ready for a big trip. 

Planning for a big trip like this starts month before for me. Almost immediately after we purchase the trip I start the planning. This time I waited until the new year to start my planning. 

It starts with me pulling my template out in OneNote and making a copy for the new trip. I have created this template over the years of travel so that everything I need for my trip is in one spot in OneNote. I can access it on my computer, my phone and my iPad. The template has pages for everything, and when I start putting the new trip plan together I remove the pages I won't need (for example I have a page for shore excursions for a cruise). 

My first step is to put the itinerary together. I fill out each day and a description of what we'll be doing/seeing and places we'll be stopping. This is used for the real research - when I start digging into the places and reading on the Interwebs all about the locations, sights, etc. That's one of my favorite parts. Learning about what we'll be seeing. 

I then do what I call an "Activity Planner". It outlines each day in much more detail. I usually do that when we get the full description of the itinerary. For Globus, they send us a doc that really does outline everything we'll be doing and seeing in each location. I fill in all the blanks and then put my research there along with it. 

I know to most people this sounds like overkill. But honestly, this is part of the fun of traveling for me. The planning. Going and seeing is always fun and I love when the trip finally comes together. But for me the setting it up and learning before we go is really the icing on the travel cake for me. 

The planning for this trip has had other issues come into view. I have felt a lot of anxiety leading up to this trip. I've spent a good amount of time digging into this emotion because it's not like me. I'm usually very excited to go and am ready at the drop of a dime to travel. This time, things were different. 

I would waver from anxiety and excitement. Some moments I'd be wanting to call Janet and say let's cancel. The next moment I'm so excited that I can hardly contain myself. 

What I've finally decided the anxiety comes from the social anxiety I have now thanks to covid about leaving my house. Because I work from home, and because since covid I rarely have to go anywhere, leaving the house takes it out of my sometimes. I hate it. I know full well that once I leave the house, I'll have a great time (and I always do) but getting out the door is sometimes so exhausting. 

I need to really work on this anxiety and will deal with that when I get back from this amazing trip. It's always there though, lingering in the back of my mind and I so don't want it to take hold. 

If this Portugal trip is like the Scotland trip we're going to be running from the moment we touch down until we head home. I love it honestly. We get to see so much and, in this case, really soo the whole country. I will, of course, blog every night (if I'm not too tired), but here's the plan for the 9 days in Portugal. 

DAY 1, THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 21, 2023 ARRIVE IN LISBON, PORTUGAL Welcome to Lisbon! At 6 pm, meet your Tour Director and travel companions for a welcome dinner at your hotel. (Dinner) 

DAY 2, FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 22, 2023 LISBON 
Guided sightseeing includes Jeronimos Monastery and cloister and a photo stop at Belem Tower and the Monument to the Discoveries. The stunning capital city of Portugal is a treasure trove of historic and architectural masterpieces. Lisbon is home to the 16th-century Monastery of Jerónimos, with its 100-foot façade featuring images of St. Michael the Archangel and Our Lady of Belém. See the 16th-century Belém Tower, which served as a fortress but also as an embarkation point for sailors and was their last sight of land before the start of their journey. Lisbon’s Monument to the Discoveries pays homage to great Portuguese explorers with a spectacular carved prow of an ancient ship. 

DAY 3, SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 23, 2023 LISBON–OBIDOS–NAZARÉ–ALCOBAÇA–FÁTIMA–TOMAR 
OBIDOS Take an orientation walk of the medieval town. 
NAZARÉ Free time to browse. 
ALCOBAÇA Visit the Church of Santa Maria Monastery. 
FÁTIMA Visit the Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary en route to Tomar.  
TOUR HIGHLIGHT LEGENDARY LIVES The monastery of Alcobaça is a unique masterpiece of Gothic Cistercian art. See the tombs of King Pedro I and his Castillan lover, Ines de Castro, and hear about the heartbreaking tale of these ill- fated lovers. The king never stopped loving Ines even after she was murdered, and during his life he commissioned matching tombs that sit together so that they can look at each other as they rise from their graves. 

DAY 4, SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 24, 2023 TOMAR–COIMBRA–PORTO 
TOMAR Visit the Convent of Christ. 
COIMBRA Visit the University. Scenic drive en route to Porto. 
TOUR HIGHLIGHT CULTURE & TRADITION The University of Coimbra is distinguished as the oldest university in Portugal and one of the oldest in the world, it is also one of the best known and internationally celebrated. With a history of more than seven centuries, the students at Coimbra University dress in the traditional black capes with ribbons in varying hues as was the tradition when the school was founded in 1290. 

DAY 5, MONDAY SEPTEMBER 25, 2023 PORTO 
PORTO Guided sightseeing includes a panoramic drive to the mouth of the Douro River and the cathedral. Visit the Church of São Francisco and the Arabian Hall in the Stock Exchange. Enjoy a Port wine tasting at the famous Sandeman & Co Port Wine Cellar. Free time this afternoon.  

You’re invited to the home of the most internationally recognized Porto wines at the magnificent Sandeman Wine Cellars. Here, taste centuries of tradition in a glass of Port wine in the city that bears its name. Saúde! 

DAY 6, TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 26, 2023 PORTO–GUIMARAES–PENAFIEL–VISEU 
GUIMARAES Orientation walk through the medieval district. 
PENAFIEL Visit the gardens of the Quinta da Aveleda winery and enjoy Portuguese tapas tasting. Take a scenic drive through the port wine vineyards en route to Viseu. 
VISEU Dinner with local specialties and wine at Forno da Mimi restaurant. 
LOCAL FAVORITE HISTORY & HERITAGE The history of the Quinta da Aveleda estate spans the centuries and generations who have preserved the Portuguese traditions of wine making and proud legacy of the Guedes family. The architectural heritage of this cherished estate is only matched by its wines, produced, and nurtured as the largest Vinho Verde exporter and family-owned winery. 

DAY 7, WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 27, 2023 VISEU–BELMONTE–CASTELO DE VIDE–EVORA 
CASTELO DE VIDE Walk through the Jewish quarter with free time to browse. 
EVORA Visit a traditional cork factory. 
LOCAL FAVORITE LOCAL TASTES Discover the tradition and taste of authentic Portuguese olive oil in a 20th-century olive-oil-factory-turned museum in Belmonte. See the machinery which farmers used to transform olives into oil and taste the delicious fruits of their labors. Perhaps take home a gift of wine, olive oil, or jam to commemorate your visit. Later, visit a Cork Factory in Evora to learn about this traditional artisanship of Portugal. 

DAY 8, THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 28, 2023 EVORA–ALGARVE 
EVORA Guided walking tour includes the Gothic cathedral, the Sao Francisco Church, and the Ossuary Chapel. Free time for lunch. 
ALGARVE Free time late afternoon and evening 
TOUR HIGHLIGHT CULTURE & TRADITION Walk back in time to the Roman era of Evora – a city with roots firmly planted in the 16th century in the home of Portuguese kings. See the white houses, architectural tiles, and embellished balconies with a stroll through the Gothic sites of the cathedral, church, and chapel. 

DAY 9, FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 29, 2023 ALGARVE. COASTAL EXCURSION
ALGARVE Join an excursion to the Promontory of Sagres, Cape St. Vincent, and Lagos. 
TOUR HIGHLIGHT PICTURE PERFECT Take in the breathtaking views of the sweeping southern coastline of Portugal in Algarve. Stand on the Promontory of Sagres and Cape St. Vincent to gaze at the glorious beaches, postcard-perfect fishing ports, and towering cliffs along the sea. 

DAY 10, SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 30, 2023 ALGARVE–AZEITÃO–LISBON  
AZEITÃO Visit a traditional tile workshop. 
 LISBON Enjoy a farewell dinner at your hotel. 
TOUR HIGHLIGHT ART & ARTISTRY Enter a world of authentically handmade Portuguese tiles at the São Simão Arte workshop and gallery in Azeitão. It is here that distinguished antique collector Antonio Soares Franco creates his ceramic masterpieces by hand in the style of his ancestors. 

DAY 11, SUNDAY OCTOBER 1, 2023 LISBON Safe travels until we meet again! Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning. 

We're doing three extra excursions throughout too. Just reading this I'm tired. I'd better go to bed so I'm well rested to take on Portugal. Until then...as they say in Portuguese...Boa Noite!!

0 comments: