Monday, June 24, 2024

Crabby Girl Weekend 2024

I think we have a new annual tradition. Last year we went for the first time to Kathy (and Rowland's) cabin. We talked about doing it every year, but you know how life can get in the way? So I wasn't sure we'd actually do it again. 

Yet, we did. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. 


We left Friday and headed over.  It's not a "cabin" in the sense of "log cabin". It's a small, homey house that is in a nice community around Elk Heights outside Cle Elum. 

Our road trip had us stopping in Cle Elum to get groceries and have lunch. This year we organized our dinners a bit different. Kathy and Janet were responsible for Friday night. And Sherrie and I were responsible for Saturday. But I'll get to that. 

Groceries in hand and full bellies ( we ate at the Cottage Cafe again) we got to the cabin. Such a lovely little house. I really do love it. Small, cozy and just right for us crabs.



Friday night we just hung out and did a lot of jibber-jabbering. We all spent times on our phones and then discussed nothing important. It's fun to just hang out. Kathy and Janet made tacos that were delicious. We had cheese and crackers for an appetizer and ice cream for dessert. Really a great evening. 

On Saturday we all got up whenever we wanted. I actually slept in to 7:30 ish. After breakfast we headed to Roslyn for a walk around the cute little town. Roslyn became a coal-mining town in 1886. It played a big role in Wa State history too. 

And if you don't know, Roslyn is where they taped Northern Exposure in the 1990s. The show has quite the cult following and Roslyn still hangs on to that popularity. 





We at lunch at The Brick, which is a tavern that originally opened in 1889 and then rebuilt in 1898 using 45,000 bricks - thus the name. 

The actual bar (as in belly up to the...) is 100 years old and is from England. This beautiful and unique 23 foot bar also has an operating running water spittoon. Who knew we'd have lunch and a history lesson.

And the food? Oh goodness the food was delicious. You really should eat there if you're in Roslyn.

After that, we drove up the road a bit to see the old cemetery. Well, we drove up several roads. Kathy wasn't really sure which road led there. We got a great tour of Roslyn and we did eventually find it. 

Lots of cool headstones there. The historic cemetery is quite unique. Because Roslyn was a mining town there was a healthy blend of immigrants before the turn of the century. The cemetery is separated by 26 distinct ethnic groups. We didn't really get out, just admired from the car. 

Then we headed to Lake Cle Elum to just see it. Lovely lake and beautiful drive. 


But Saturday wasn't just a weekend day. It was much more important. It was Kathy's birthday. And we did it up Crab style. 

Crab Table Cloth...duh

Sherrie and I had dinner for Saturday. I made a low carb appetizer that didn't turn out quite as I planned. Which is fine since we had more than enough food for dinner. Sherrie and I made Asian Beef Salad and roasted potatoes. 

It was quite yummy and one of my favorite salads. 

For dessert, I got us Nothing Bundt Cakes. They are also my favorite and I thought they'd travel well. But I couldn't just give her a cake...I had to make it a Crab cake.


I also got Kathy this beautiful Crab shirt. It says "Birthday Crab" on it. I figured we could share the shirt and each one of us wear it for our birthdays. It's not going to fit all of us the same, but it'll be fun. 

I think she had a fun day. We enjoyed celebrating her birthday and I'm glad she let us. 



We headed home Sunday, but not before we stopped at the fruit stand just down the hill. We did last year as well and took photos not that different from these. Such goofballs. 



So I really hope this is an annual event. Stay tuned for more Crabby tales.

0 comments: