Thursday, December 13, 2012

San Diego 3Day...finally

Howdy there neighbor. It’s me. The long lost blogger…sheesh I can’t believe how long it’s been and frankly I couldn’t even tell you what’s been going on. So let’s start with something I know I haven’t blogged about…the San Diego 3Day.
 
The first impression I had of the San Diego 3day was, unfortunately, shock.  They call this 3Day the “Boob Crawl” and for very good reason. The amount of alcohol up and down the route was astounding.  One of our team members said that in one day (or maybe before lunch one day) she counted 48 places along the route that were handing out alcohol of some sort. Right out of the camp on day two the walkers are greeted with mimosas or bloody marys. Then throughout the route they get jell-o shots, shots of tequila, lemonade with vodka, vodka soaked gummy bears and more.  
 
I was a bit bummed about this part of it.  It seemed to really be counter to what the 3day message was all about.  And the number of walkers that we saw “stumble” into camp each night was higher than I think it should be. 
 
Still, the 3day Walker Stalker part was a blast.  Stalking in a different city is very different. Not knowing the roads threw us a few challenges and caused us to break a few traffic laws. But laws don’t count on the 3Day.
 
 
 
Opening was a bit outside San Diego, not far, (nothing seems to be far there) and was the standard 3Day rah-rah opening. I'm not a huge fan of the new way they are doing the Survivor Circle these days. They used to showcase 8 Survivors in a raised platform in the center of all the walkers. When the Survivors walk in and climb the stairs to the platform it's pretty powerful stuff. Now they have the Survivors up on stage and it's just not as powerful. 
 
 
 

 
I didn't get a Mustang from the car rental place. Got a crappy Eclipse, but it was still a convertible.  Blueberry and I decorated it and we were off.
 
 

 
The walkers walked primarily along the water, which made it extra hard to stalk them. So many beach houses that we couldn't every really see the walkers. So we found places to park and cheer.

The MomUnit and QueenPopUp were also on the route with us occasionally.  They slept in and joined us later in the morning usually. It worked out well - up until they asked where we were.  I had no idea half the time. 

 

Here are some of my favorite 3Day people we saw on the route.

The Hooker Mobile followed us everywhere I swear. They had a minivan and were blasting the tunes.  Then they'd hop out and start dancing for the walkers. They were awesome.

Jello-o shots anyone?


 
This gal was hilarious.  She was dancing like a crazy person then kept saying things like her back hurt...gee I wonder why.
And lastly, here are some of our team. We picked up two new team members along the way. Seattle SIL had a tent mate she hadn't met until the 3Day (her name was also Jennifer so we knew she'd be way cool) and then a gal they picked up during Opening (I believe her name was Tammy).

Here they come!

Princess Lori, me, Seattle SIL and Blueberry


Seattle SIL at closing. Think she was glad it's over?

Left to Right: Tammy, Queen PopUp (kneeling), Princess Lori, Seattle SIL, Jennifer (kneeling), Princess Carla, Blueberry, me and the MomUnit.



0 comments: