Monday, December 03, 2012

San Diego Wild Safari Park...or whatever it's called

I'm just finishing up blogging about my San Diego trip that now seems like a lifetime ago. 

On the last day of actual vacation time (we really went to San Diego so Seattle SIL, and other princesses could walk in the San Diego 3 day - I'll get to that shortly) we went out to Ramona.  Why Ramona? Good question. Other than it was yet another Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives cafe out there we wanted to try. And oh boy am I glad we did.

Not only did we have a massive cinnamon roll, but we had a fantastic breakfast.






 
 
After gorging ourselves on unhealthy items, we hopped back in the van and headed the short distance to the Safari park.

I have vague memories of going to the park a hundred years ago with Grandma and Grandpa Wraspir. I remembered the tram and seeing animals in their natural (ish) environment, but really didn't remember much more than that.

The Safari Park has really done a great job, I think, at maintaining a lot of room for the animals to roam free. Most do. Some are still pinned up, but their pins seem quite large and comfy.



I LOVED the lions.  They were sleeping, of course, except Mr. King Lion glanced my way. And I swear he was thinking I'd make a good hearty lunch.

 

We saw gorillas and a baby gorilla - so dang cute.



We saw Cheetas.

 
We saw Flamingos!!!
 

We saw giraffes.
 

 
We saw rhinos!
 
 

We saw zebras!
 

We saw elephants, and an elephant baby. Though in typical elephant / Jenn fashion, all I really got were photos of elephant asses.



But my favorite of all were the tigers! 


One tiger was just hanging out resting, minding his own business. (Note, not sure if it was a boy or girl tiger, so we'll just call it a him for simplicity).


Brother Tiger decided to come out and see what was going on.


He started stalking the other tiger who was minding his own business.


And eventually bothering brother tiger..


The brother tiger was all, "I was sleeping here!"


And then he was all, "And now I'm gonna kick your ass."




It was all so exciting to see big cats actually moving and not just sleeping.

The park was awesome. I loved seeing all the animals and seeing them thrive in a zoo environment. I'll leave you with a couple of my favorites.




1 comments:

Lesley said...

The playing tigers are hilarious! What really made me laugh is that that is exactly how my two little tigers play. I guess felines are felines!