Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Half of my Heart's Got a Grip on the Situation

Soooo...it's me. Don't act like you don't know me. ... Hey you! Yah you! Come back her and keep reading.

Sheesh...the things I do for fans.

Anywhoooo...the weekend before last was the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer 3 Day 60 Mile walk - what a mouth full.  We all know going into this that this weekend would be so emotionally charged that we'd likely be fried by the end. And we were right.

BigBro was missed dearly.  Yet, he was somehow there with us the entire time. f

First a shout out to The Wrack Pack for raising a whoppin' $16,416!!! That's amazingly good for a 3 person team. Way to go team! Their goal, albeit a late goal, was $20K, but hell what they did was fantastic.

Now, on to the weekend.


It started at Opening ceremony where a bunch of us surprised Seattle SIL by showing up in Team Ric shirts. The Niece had these specially made and kept it a secret from her mom.  The plan was for all of us to meet with the shirt on and when Seattle SIL showed up she'd be surprised.  There was some concern about just how this surprise was going to be taken from her, and I can say that she kept it together...mostly.



Seattle SIL and the Niece were both chosen to carry flags during the opening ceremonies. We nominated Seattle SIL to carry the MY HUSBAND flag because BigBro was such a HUGE part of the 3Day. We thought this would be an appropriate tribute to him and maybe a bit healing for the rest of us. Turns out it was a big ol cry fest.  And I mean ugly cry. The moment I saw Seattle SIL up on stage and knowing she'd be speaking...I lost it. I "heard" what she said, but I was too busy balling to really hear what she said.

I made the mistake of glancing back to a few friends who were standing with us, and realized when I saw all them crying that I probably should have just stared forward. Good grief.

It was clear that BigBro was truly loved by so many people. I can't even begin to express in words how much seeing people with these Team Ric shirts on meant to me. Each one showing their tribute to a man who personified the cause. Just beautiful.

 
 

Anyhow, we set the walkers loose and The Other Niece (hence forth known as Bob-Orissa) and I took off for coffee and some car decorating.

Sparky was the bell of the ball this year. Bob-Orissa was in charge of most of the decorations and she out did herself.

 
 

Day 1 was relatively uneventful. The walkers did well and we welcomed them home a bit later than normal.

Day 2 we dropped off the Niece to meet Blueberry and Seattle SIL at camp. Off they went. Meanwhile, Bob-Orissa and I went to find, you got it, coffee. Well I needed coffee. Bob-Orissa doesn't drink coffee which makes me wonder what's wrong with her.

As our day progressed, we picked up a hitchhiker who needed a ride. My pal H was hurting and after some serious discussion we finally got her in the car. So many of these walkers are soooo dedicated to NOT taking a ride. They feel they told their donors they were walking60 miles, and by God they're going to.  In some cases, like with H, we had to show her if she continued she may not get to walk Day 3.
Picking up my hitch hiker - H
 
Friend R met us on the route to cheer on the walkers!

Is that your shadow or are you just happy to see me?

 


Again, the walkers made it in - a bit later than usual. No biggy though. I went out and got KFC for the team since Day 2 food is questionable.

Day 3 we had to head across the lake to deposit the walkers at UW. The sun wasn't even up yet - and I don't think any of us were awake...still Bob-Orissa sent the walkers on their way. 


We found a spot at Gasworks Park for Spark and us to cheer. We may or may not have pulled up a pole to park Sparky here...I'm sure it's legal.

Day 3 has a BIG hill in it, so after getting cheering the team through Gasworks we took off to find this hill. We parked and met our team at a Grab n Go and then drove Sparky up and down this monster hill cheering on the walkers. It dawned on me that some walkers may not find our cheering as amusing as we do. I mean I'm yelling out, "You've got this." and "this hill is nothing to a 3 day walker" all the while DRIVING up the hill. Still I'm sure they appreciated the music to keep them going.
 
 

We parked ourselves up the hill and cheered the walkers there - giving them something to look forward to. At least that's what I tell myself.

And closing was, as always, emotional.  Cheering in these walkers who have just finished walking 60 miles...the look of pride and emotion coming out of them always gets me teared up.

Our walkers made it and looked just as proud as they do every year. I'm so proud of all of them for raising so much $$ and for really getting out there to spread the word about breast cancer.


 

The gaggle of women I adore at the 3day: Me, The Niece, Bob-Orissa, Blueberry, Princess Lori, Princess Carla and Seattle SIL

Closing ceremonies found me on the field. We may or may not have printed off another set of credentials so I could be on the field with Bob-Orissa. The Niece and Seattle SIL were, again, going to be flag bearers on stage. Seattle SIL was carrying the My Husband flag and the Niece joined her on stage.  I, and the other friends around me, we on the field sobbing. We missed BigBro though the entire event and this just really solidified it.

 

Such love and grief in this photo. Thanks Joan for taking it.

We salute the Survivors as they come in with a "Tennis Shoe Salute"

I know, right? TEARS!!!!

It should be mentioned too that BigBro was in the Remembrance Tent. I visit this tent every year and was not expecting to see this.

There's a white tent in the remembrance tent for people to sign. I signed for my BigBro

But he was truly loved by the 3Day community so I shouldn't have been surprised. 

So another 3day is over. Bob-Orissa and I have a list for next year and some ideas for decorations and cheering.

0 comments: