Thursday, May 07, 2015

Hola....Como estan?

Hi! Yah it's me. The "owner" of this blog.  Apparently I've been busy or something since it's been since April 19th that I actually posted anything here. I kept thinking about writing and kept thinking, "But you just did." Clearly my thoughts are distorted.

A big thing happened since I last wrote...

That's right! This girl won the Quarterly Star award at work. And THIS girl was shocked and stunned and still is having a hard time believing I won.

But let me explain a bit first.

You know I love my job and the company. It's generally a love fest when we have our monthly meetings. We do this ThanksUnlimited thing, of which I've won a couple of times. And then once a quarter we vote on who we believe should win this Quarterly Star award.

Now...in my cynical mind I figured people who touch ALL aspects of the company are more likely to win because - well they touch all parts of the company. I never, EVER, in my wildest dreams have imagined I'd win.

It's crazy, but I feel so honored.

See the people I work with are smart. I mean SMART...and everyone holds themselves and everyone else to a ridiculously high standard. We're all stars really. So to be chosen and singled out is...well...overwhelming.

For one quarter I get my own parking spot with this sign!

But here's the fun part. So tradition at this company is that we all sing to the winner. The HR gal picks a song and re-writes the lyrics to announce the winner. This month's song was California Girls from the Beach Boys. 

We do a trial run and sing the song with the real lyrics. Then she hands out the new lyrics.

We start singing...these lyrics.

Q1 kept us busy and our numbers really soared
When your votes came in boy the race was tight
Let’s look at what our winner scored
 
In addition to a paid day off is that awesome parking space
Time to pack it up Mini and get outta there
Because the Mustang’s takin’ your place
 
This is how we honor our winning
This is how we honor our winning
This is how we honor our winning star
 
She brought compliance knowledge and she quickly learned the ropes
Like how to manage all those client demands 
And still fulfill their high high hopes
 
Jennifer we thank you for all the hard work that you've done
And in addition to all that booty you get
There's one more honor that you've won
 
*****************************
Now here's the funnier thing. As we're singing the song I see the word Mustang and I'm thinking, "Oh. Don has a Mustang. Cool. He won."
 
And as I'm thinking this I glance up and notice everyone's staring at me. Odd.
 
I still have not seen my name. Then it hits me as we hit that verse. I almost cried. No lie. I almost broke down and cried. Thank GOD I didn't cuz in this crowd I might not ever live it down.
 
So ya. I still love my job. I still love this company and I feel so honored and blessed to get up every morning and be a part of such a fantastic group of people And apparently they like me. They really, really like me!

0 comments: