Wednesday, June 06, 2018

Day 5 - St. Andrews, Braemar, Belmaral and Inverness

Steps: 7503

Today we left Edinburgh. I don't feel like I got enough of that city, so I may have to go back.

We left bright and early heading to the Scotland highlands. The drive was going to be long, but we'd be stopping along the way AND we'd be going through some pretty spectacular scenery...we were told.

Our first stop, St. Andrew's. Billie and I argued about what St. Andrew's was. I said it was a city and she said it was a world famous golf course. Turns out it's both. We were stopping for the golf course though.

The golf course runs along a white sandy beach which was famous for the Chariots of Fire scene when they're running on the beach. AND it's the North sea. So I'm checking off the North Sea on my list of seas I need to see.

Back in the coach - slightly late...dammit and off to Braemar for lunch. This took us through some of the most beautiful country. Lunch was delicious. I had a sandwich called Chicken Coronation. Turns out it's chicken salad with mayo, curry and raisins. Fantastic.

Back on the bus ON TIME for a change and off we went to Belmoral.

Now the Belmoral Castle was not on our itinerary originally. But for some reason they added it. I was so excited because the research I had done on this one had me wanting to see this splendid castle. Turns out, however, they don't let you inside. Gah. So we just got to see the outside grounds, gardens and of course the castle.

The rest of the day was spent on the coach driving through the Grampian mountains. They are beautiful. Sparse...in that it's not a foresty drive like what we'd have in washington. Their hills are covered with heather. COVERED...with heather. I cannot imagine how beautiful they must be in September when heather blooms.

Finally we landed in Inverness...a bit later than normal.

The highlight of the day, if you can call it that, is Miss Blueberry had to go visit a hospital. She fell in the tub because it was super slippery...and I myself almost bit it, and jammed up her wrist. To be 100% sure it wasn't broken she went off to the emergency room with our bus driver. Turns out it's a bad sprain and all will be well. Phew.

Tomorrow is another one of the days I've been looking forward to Clava Cairns are on the list as well as the battle field of Culloden. Both places that I got interested in since watching Outlander.

0 comments: