Friday, June 08, 2018

Day 7: INVERNESS and THURSO

Today we left Inverness headed to Thurso (pronounced Turso - forget the "h"). We didn't get much time to wander around Inverness, but what I saw of it, I loved. Small ish town with a big heart.

Our first stop today was at the Glenmorangie Distillery. I'm slowing learning to like Scotch/Whisky and today's trip sorta sealed my fate with respects to a favorite. Naturally, it's a bit expensive. Still, the tour was fun to see how its made and then, of course, we got a tasting. MMMM. Belly full and warm.

Leaving there we went to Dunrobin Castle. Dunrobin is massive. Probably the biggest castle we've seen and full of rooms we got to go into. I hate the castles in which we haven't been able to see any rooms. Balmoral only let us into one and it was set up as a museum. But Dunrobin had all the rooms open. The Duke of Sutherland owns Dunrobin and has kept it up. No one lives there currently, but it's stayed in the family and they've done a fantastic job preserving it.

After that we ended up in Thurso. Talk about small town. Our hotel doesn't look like much on the outside, but man the rooms are nice. Billie and I got what we're calling "the suite" because we have a huge room with single beds, and a massive bathroom with stand up shower AND tub. Poor Sherrie and Janet got a smallish room.

Thurso is sure cute though. We got out and took a walk about. Everything was closed and it was only 5pm. We found a pub and popped in for a pint.

Dinner was provided tonight in the hotel. I wasn't expecting much at all. But this sweet little hotel is family owned and they take serious pride in the place. The meal was the best I've had yet. I can't remember what I had as the appetizer, but the main course was Chicken Pie - OMG sooo good, And the dessert was Toffee Sticky Pudding. Lord. Where has that been all my life?

Tomorrow we visit the Orkney Islands. The Ring of Brodgar is tomorrow and I'm hoping it's as cool as the research I've done lends it to be.

0 comments: