Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Recipes Galore

In Jan 2020 I had a rather aggressive goal to try 100 new recipes this year. I knew in my heart there was no way I was ever going to hit that number. It was my attempt to motivate myself to cook more and eat out less. 

Then COVID happened. In an odd way, I have COVID to thank for me not only hitting my goal but exceeding it by quite a long shot. Yesterday I posted my 132nd recipe of the year. I might hit 150 new recipes by the end of the year. 

I started wondering about how many recipes per year had I done on average. Over on the cooking blog I could find that answer. 

I suspect there are recipes I've tried that are NOT on this blog. I wasn't overly diligent about adding them back in the early years. In fact, in 2020 I added a couple of recipes that I love that were not on the blog. 


I have a similar goal for next year to cook more. I think I'm going to leave it at 100. Who knows what next year will bring? 

I was asked the other day why I was so interested in cooking. There's not really an easy answer for this. I was raised in a house where dinner was always home made. Dad was the one who started looking through cookbooks to find new recipes (this was back before the Internet bombarded us with recipes and the like on a regular basis.) Mom eventually got into it as well. So we designated Wednesday night as "New Recipe Night". When I was about 12, the parental units also designated Thursday night as MY night to cook. I could try something new or something old. It didn't matter. The rule was to have my grocery list to them by Saturday for the weekly shopping day.

Over the years I dabbled in cooking. I knew how, but never really wanted to become a "great" cook. Then when I dated this guy in the early 2000's who also like to cook I got a bit addicted to it. My project manager self realized cooking was just one big project. 

In 2005 I lost a bet and had to start this blog. Not too soon after I decided I also wanted a cooking blog. But, as I mentioned, I wasn't really great at being diligent with posting recipes. It was harder then because not many were on the net. It was "real" typing in the recipe. (Such 1st world problems).

Later I'll do a post about my favorite recipes for this year. There aren't as many as you'd think. 

0 comments: