Monday, January 18, 2021

How to Do Goals in a Pandemic

I was thinking about goals last night and how the pandemic impacted my goals in 2020 and if it's going to impact mine for 2021. 

In 2020 I had this massive list of 50 things I wanted to do. Suffice it to say, 75% of them had to get scratched out because they required being in public or going to a restaurant or something that meant you could get the 'rona.

This year's list is only 30 items. I wouldn't call them goals as much as things I'd like to do this year. Some are my actual goals like reading and cooking and such. There are several on here that I'm almost sure won't happen, but it's worth dreaming a little.

So with very little fanfare, here's the list:

  1. Travel to a new country (this is one of the 75% that may not happen)
  2. Pay it forward - buy a strangers coffee
  3. Donate quarterly
  4. Do a good deed without explanation
  5. Send flowers to someone
  6. Go on 2 road trips
  7. Visit Paul and Suzanna in Bellingham (or someplace in the middle)
  8. Go for a walk on the beach
  9. Watch a sunset for real (not out your front door)
  10. Try 10 new restaurants (if we can)
  11. Go to Space Needle restaurant (if we can)
  12. See a movie in the theater (if we can)
  13. Read 50 books or 15,000 pages
  14. Follow a cleaning schedule that includes the big stuff we forget (windows, baseboards, etc)
  15. Ride a ferry
  16. Buy a new mattress
  17. Complete your outstanding online classes
  18. Complete your TBR Leadership books
  19. Complete you movie watch list
  20. Finish the marvel movie list
  21. Plan and complete 5 scrapbook projects
  22. Review / Revise the Will and update the "death" book
  23. Book a date or two with a friend you haven't seen
  24. Bake a treat quarterly
  25. 125 new recipes
  26. Visit MOHAI (if we can)
  27. Visit NW Trek (if we can)
  28. Visit Tillicum Village (if we can)
  29. Take the elevator to the top of Columbia Tower (if we can)
  30. Do 10 wine tastings
Phew. I'm tired just typing it. Like I said, these aren't "goals" as such, but things that I like to try to remember to do. It helps my life keep in balance a little by doing some different things. 

In other news, we have today off to celebrate MLK. I had forgotten, or didn't realize it, until a colleague reminded me on Thursday. What a gift to realize you have an extra day off. I spent part of the morning reviewing some of his speeches and reading some of his story. What an amazing man. So ahead of his time. This is one of my favorite quotes from him: 



0 comments: