Saturday, December 31, 2022

The week of celebrations

The week after Christmas has always been on of dragging out the holiday spirit. I used to joke that in our family we'd celebrate from Dec 20th through the new year. So may Christmas parties with the extended family, Christmas with the fam, then my birthday, then New Year's eve. It was always busy and by the time the new year came around I was done seeing family for some time. 

This year I realized how much I missed that. Be careful what you wish for. 

The birthday this year was relatively uneventful on the day of. In fact, it was a little lonely later in the evening. I used to make a big deal about my birthday and ALWAYS had some type of gathering. That ended during Covid and it's never come back. I'm kinda ok with that and kinda not. 

The birthday celebration started the day before. We usually do the Keg for our birthday dinners, but I neglected to make reservations for mine and we couldn't get in. Not wanting to NOT go to dinner, I rallied and finally decided to go to Kidd Valley for a burger. 

I used to work at Kidd Valley and have always enjoyed their burgers. It's simple. It's easy. It's delicious. And it's something I knew we'd enjoy. Just getting together is fun so I knew it would be worth it. 

Bacon cheeseburger with mayo, ketchup, and tomato only.
Mushrooms and the rare chocolate/pb shake

My favorites.

The actual day of the celebration of my birth, Sherrie and I had lunch at Mod Pizza. I had to work so I had only about an hour to spend, but it was fun to get out and have lunch with the BFF. 

After lunch, of course, I had to go get my birthday Starbucks. I ordered what has been my recent favorite - Venti Chocolate Cream Cold Brew with extra Chocolate cream cuz it's my birthday. The barista said because it was my birthday I should have ordered a trenta! Oddly enough, I never think about going bigger and more expensive when it's free. I just get what I usually get. 


After work s when the birthday turned glum. I didn't plan any fancy dinner for myself (had Shepherd's Pie Soup). Didn't really do anything but watch TV and read. It was boring. And a little lonely. 

What I missed the most was my phone ringing at 7am and my Mom on the other end singing Happy Birthday to me so off key that most dogs would howl. This was her thing and I missed it every year. This year I missed it more than I care to admit. 

My sister called later in the day and sang to me. She said she remembered how much she loved getting that call from mom and thought maybe she'd pick up that tradition. She and I aren't overly close, but this meant a lot to me. 

So, here we are on the last day of the year. I have to get my goals together and have been thinking about who I am now, who I have been and who I want to be. I've let a lot go in the past two years, and not in a good way. Stay tune for more on my "goals" for the next year. 

Here's wishing you all a Happy New year and I hope 2023 brings you much love, laughter, and joy. 

0 comments: