Friday, October 23, 2009

Along with the Sunshine, there's gonna be a little rain sometime.

First let's start with the good news. Not that there's bad news, per se, but let us begin with good news. Solid good news.

I ROCKED THE CASBAH TODAY IN A QUARTERLY BUSINESS REVEIW!

What's more, the feedback from a major player was so astonishing to me that I almost felt like I could do anything. I found renewed faith in doing a good job. I felt confidence I hadn't felt in a long time. The interesting thing to me, this last wave of positive feedback comes on the heals of other good and interesting comments made by friends.

Right, so the not so good news. If you are one of those friends of mine who find I share too much information on this blog. You should turn away now. Don't read further. I'm about to disclose some rather personal information - and I don't want to hear from you that I share too much. You've been warned.

I get to have a hysterectomy. I know. Don't be jealous. You wish you were this fortunate.

Turns out that after the last little procedure the doctors found some nasty little pre-killer cells. There are two options for me. One of which isn't really an option and the other is a hysterectomy. Me? At just 40? Seems so surreal to me.

I've had about a week to take this all in and I've had some very quiet evenings at home to have little freak out sessions. I'm feeling pretty normal now. Scared to death and yet I feel in control of my destiny. I know that this surgery is one of the most common that women go through and rarely have any serious issues related to it. And I know that this surgery will save my life.

And that is what got me.

Realizing that removing an "organ" that I really haven't needed means that cells that were only interested in killing me will be removed. Stupid cells. Hah. I'll show you. You won't win. Neener Neener.

And besides, I've been informed that I'll really have the best of both worlds. I won't have Aunt Flow visit monthly AND I won't be in menopause (they aren't taking the ovaries). So really, this could be a good thing, right? No. It IS a good thing.

So, I'm adding a hysterectomy to my list of 40 new things. Funny little thing life, I had no idea this would be one of my "new" things.

Wanna an update of my 40 things? I know you do. I'm starting to think I may not make 40 things, but ... we'll we shall see.

1. Starbucks Instant Coffee - Nummers
2. Boss and BossBoss for Dinner at my house
3. Podiatrist visit
4. Walk of Hope
5. 5K Run Photography
6. Grease at the 5th Ave
7. Roller Derby - YeeHaw
8. New place to live
9. Read 100 new books - 67 read to date
10. Volunteering for the Getting Started Meetings (3Day)
11. Volunteer photographer for 3Day
12. Pampered Chef party
13. 3 Day Expo Volunteer
14. Race For The Cure Volunteer Photographer
15. iL Divo (ooo lala)
16. Ducks Tour
17. Dueling Pianos (and really bad food)
18. Volunteer for Survivor Brunch
19. Try over 100 new recipes (I need to count these - I think I'm around 65)
20. Ultra sound
21. Hysteroscopy
22. Hysterectomy
23. Volunteer Photographer for Gala

Things I still need to do:
1. Glass Museum
2. Smith Tower
3. Photograph a Wedding

And I'm at a loss now...I need more new things people!
4.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm sorry about those nasty, nasty cells, Jenn. You go to great strides to get rid of that organ though... if only I'd thought of it! (kidding!) Mine is also never to be used, I'd like to get rid of it but not sure I could take the stress of why yours will be removed. I know if I had to, I would. I want you to know that I will keep you in my prayers for recovery and no recurrence of those evil cells.

Was this something found (or, wanted to be checked after) your yearly? I need to go in... its been about 3yrs now. I am terrible, especially considering I had a breast cancer (that turned into a cyst to be removed) scare in 2003. I know better.

Melissa

Jenn from WA said...

Melissa - GO IN! I can't impress that enough. Uteran cancer is the most difficult to detect. For me it was because I had a "slow leak" and went in to have it checked. They recommended a hysteroscopy (scraping out the uterus) and that's how they discovered these evil demon cells.