Friday, October 09, 2009

Better out then in I always say...

And with that I can add two more new things to my list:

1. Surgery
2. General Anesthesia

Surgery was a simple little procedure to remove a growth, nothing serious and nothing to worry about. At least that's what I kept telling myself. I wasn't so worried about the surgery as much as I was about the General. Not having every been put "under" before I was, understandably, concerned. You know, with me being a "control freak" and all, I was having issues with the idea of being "out of my own control." The idea of going to sleep in one room and waking up in another, was a bit much for me.

Still the morning started like most mornings, up early. Seattle SIL picked me up and drove me to the surgery center. By the time I was checked in and walking down the corridor to the operating room (with a slight breeze on my back side I might add) I had met 9 new friends from nurses to pharmacy dropper off-ers, to Dr. FeelGood(anesthesia guy - who was hilarious BTW. Who knew Dr.s could have a sense of humor?

I was gently guided into the operating room by Mr. FeelGood. I momentarily laughed at myself because the op table looked like a crucifixion table. Nursey-poo directed me to the table and indicated that she had been warming the bed for me...and she said, "Hop on up!" Right..hop...that's funny.

Still Dr. FeelGood and the Nursey-poo were working in tandem to keep me occupied while they forced a needle into my vein and began the prep work. Finally I noticed I had a needle in my arm, and clear fluid dripping into it. "Oh you're good," I said to Dr. FeelGood. He just smiled and said, "I'm putting the sleepy drug into you now...you should start to feel...." and that was all she wrote.

Some time later I was being tugged awake by another nurse asking how I felt. "Drunk!" That's how I felt. Like I had had a few too many Cosmos. After a few minutes, I was able to get up and stumble my way to the restroom to dress. I giggled out loud at myself trying to put my pants on after what felt like one helluva a fun night (with non of the calories).

Outside there was my SIL and a nice little recliner chair for me to sit and drool in (okay - so I didn't drool). Finally, Miss Pharm-Oh-Looky-At-The-Fun-Drugs stopped by to give me my prescription for hydrocodone.

Of which I won't need to take. I feel great. No pain. No nothing. Just starving and in need for some caffeine.

So thanks everyone for your well wishes and good thoughts. They clearly worked. Hopefully now I can get back to life on the fast lane. (Insert Eagle's Song Here)

1 comments:

Lesley said...

Yay, Jenn! I'm so glad to hear everything went well and you're feeling good. I had to laugh when I read that you won't be taking the hydrocodone, because I said the same thing last year when I went home after my surgery: "I don't need this stuff, can I go to Starbucks instead?"