Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Great Pumpkin Carving...Part VIII


Thought I would add two more photos of the event...and Blogger is being a Pain so I can't move them down in the thread...but Pumpkin Peeps and Spider Cupcakes finished out the evening.





I've lost count at how many of these I've had. It's relatively annual and I think I started in like 1998 or something. I'm trying to remember where I was living so I can pin point the year. Still, last night was the "8th" annual Great Pumpkin Carving at Chez Jenn's. As expected all was in rare form and as creative they could be with pumpkins. This year I decided to let everyone bring their "scariest" appetizers. And naturally we had WAY too much food, but we did our best to get rid of it. (BTW I tried the Trader Joe version of chicken gyoza...OMG sooo good).

All the photos are here, if you dare.

I decided to step outside the box this year and carve a WHITE pumpkin. Which by the way I've never done...so guess what's been added to the list of 40?

I went for the pirate theme on accident. I started by carving the top off, digging out the guts and then wanting to be 'creative' when Mr. Volleyball suggested square eyes. Okay. Square. And we were doing well until one cut went too far - thus the notches. It's all in how you improvise.
I'm always amazed how people go about their carving. Some dig on in like Blueberry and others have to serious contemplate where to cut - Like ChickenLady. She wanted her pumpkin to "talk" to her.


So drum roll please.........

Here are the finished products. Left to right: Kim used a template, but you can't really see how good it was, mine, ChickenLady's Spider, Blueberry's Big Eyes, Mr. Volleyball and The Dane's unfinished drawn on gourd, and Claudia's tree carved pumpkin. Ooo La La.

The Pumpkin Murderer's: Me, Kim, ChickenLady, Blueberry, The Dane, Claudia and Mr. Volleyball.

If you weren't there you missed out. AND you may have been taken off the dinner rotation at Chez Jenn's. Unless you have a good excuse...and I mean a good excuse. Like maybe being in another state, that might be a good excuse. Might be....

0 comments: