Monday, April 08, 2013

Crockett's Public House

While in San Diego this last November I became a junky for finding Diners, Drive-In's and Dives restaurants.  I love the idea that someone I pseudo respect (I mean let's fact it Guy Fieri can get a bit annoying at times - but I totally, usually, agree with his assessments of good food.) has already done the research for me with respect to local food.

In San Diego, we tried three, er four...
Blue Water Seafood (my favorite)
Hob Nob Hill
Pizzeria Luigi
Ramona Café
Crazee Burger (by accident)

Okay so more than 4. I highly recommend all of them. My least favorite was probably Hob Nob but it was still good.

In my own backyard, aka the Seattle area, there are a handful. None of them have I tried. So the Pantry Goat and I set out on Sunday to try one down south in Puyallup (Pew-wow-lup).


Crockett's Public House was just on Triple D - it may have been a rerun I don't recall. They highlighted these amazing looking meatballs - I knew I had to go.  Turns out, they have a TON of other options and the meatballs was not what I choose.

Puyallup is about an hour drive from my place, so we stopped at Starbucks and we headed out in the torrential down pour of Sunday's weather.

Daisy came along for the ride as well. She's still practicing her art of Menu Modeling, but I think she's getting the hang of it.
The place was a nice open space that smelled delicious the moment we walked in. It was noon on a Sunday so I half expected us to wait for an hour or more. We waited for about 5 minutes...maybe.


Once we sat down and they handed us the menu, I was a bit overwhelmed. Everything sounded so good. The other thing that made me want to come down here was their Fire-grilled artichokes.  See I'm no fan of the artichoke.  I like it in things, especially a bubbly cheesy dip, but won't sit and just eat one. They're weird to me. BUT, they grill them here and serve them with their homemade aioli.  Watching how they prepared this on the show made me want to try them.

Once here, though, I knew I couldn't even consider ordering it and wasting precious stomach space on an artichoke.  Next time. I mean their menu...go take a look. I'll wait.

See! Don't you want to eat one of everything?

The Pantry Goat ordered Mom's Sloppy Joe (The recipe is here.)and I ordered the Memphis BBQ Burger (sans jalapenos).  Can I just take a moment...deep breath in...deep breath out...the burger was so darn good.  And the BBQ sauce, my word. It was tangy and sweet all at the same time. Sooo good. 


Next time I'll try the meatballs for sure. The people sitting next to us both had an order and neither one of them finished their plates. They did lean over and ask the Pantry Goat what se ordered though. I love that about these types of places.

We devoured our meals. The Pantry Goat left a little for herself to take home for left overs, and she took what was left of my fries.

Burp!

I swore I was never going to eat again.

Bottom line, this place was well worth the drive in the pouring rain.  I'd go again in a heart beat.  Who's up for it?

All the recipes that were on Triple D can be found here.

0 comments: