Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Rest of the Story

So when last we spoke I was in Portland. I have been meaning to finish up the Portland Chronicles and somehow two weeks have gone by.  Some day I'll figure out how to slow time down, but for now I'll just back up again and fill in the missing Portland blanks.  I know you've been dying to know.

Saturday morning we were up and moving.  We met up with a college friend whom we haven't seen in way too long.  Teacher Lori is who we'll call her. Teacher Lori and I were pretty good friends in college. There are many a drinking stories that I could share with you, and some day I may.  Seeing Teacher Lori and a couple other college friends forced me to take a left down memory lane.  I pulled up a bunch of college photos that had me laughing and thinking I need to write a blog about those memories.

Someday.

Anyhow, Teacher Lori met us at the famous Voodoo Donuts. We knew we'd have a wait since just about everyone I've known who's gone to Voodoo said to plan on standing in line for about 30 minutes.  True to the warnings we stood in line.






Voodoo is famous for being a doughnut place full of crazy doughnut options. Some of their crazy flavors are "The Loop" (Raised yeast doughnut with vanilla frosting and Fruit Loops), Memphis Mafia ( Fried dough with banana chunks and cinnamon covered in a glaze with chocolate frosting, peanut butter, peanuts and chocolate chips on top!) ... and my favorite Cock-N-Balls ( Cock-n-balls shaped raised yeast doughnut triple filled with Bavarian cream and topped with chocolate frosting!) I kid you not.

None of those did we try.  We stayed relatively vanilla by sticking to their famous maple bar with bacon, Just like it sounds...a maple bar with bacon on top. So yummy. Though we did pull the bacon off and just eat the maple bar eventually. Teacher Lori finished off the bacon for us.

Teacher Lori and Blueberry had the Portland Cream (Raised yeast doughnut filled with Bavarian cream. Topped with chocolate and two eyeballs, representing the vision of our great city). Teacher Lori said she wanted something chocolate and cream filled and this is what she got.  I'm not a fan of doughnuts filled with cream or jelly. 






I tried the Triple chocolate penetration (Chocolate cake doughnut with chocolate frosting and coco-puffs). Yes, you read that right. CocoPuffs!!! It was so darn good. And rich, and surely low fat.

After we ate our weight in doughnuts we ventured to the Portland Saturday Market.  It was aisle after aisle of really fun stuff.  We found there just about everything you'd expect to find at a Saturday market.  I ended up buying the Pookster a "catnip body pillow". Turns out he loves it.

Finishing up there we wandered through the streets of Portland and ultimately ended up at Mother's Bistro for lunch.  Mother's was recommended to me by a couple of Portland types who love the city and had been at this place.  We waited about 20 minutes for a table (BTW the theme of the day was waiting for long periods of time for our food). Once seated we ordered and managed to get caught up in what's been going on in all our lives.  It was great to see Teacher Lori and feel like we picked up right where we left off all those years ago.


 

Leaving Mother's we decided we needed to go see Multnoma Falls.  I had been out to the falls almost a decade before and really wanted to see them again. It was raining hard and once there the rain didn't let up. We spent a couple minutes shooting photos of the falls, got ourselves in the gift shop and got us some coffee for the road back.

 


Later that night I had arranged to meet up with two other college friends I hadn't seen for some time. We were meeting them at the Deschutes Brewery for some good beer and what was supposed to be good food.  We got there a bit early and put our names on the list. The wait was about 45 minutes. While we waited Teacher Lori and Blueberry had a glass of wine and we ordered THE BEST homemade pretzel I've ever had.  It had some alfredo type cheese dipping sauce with it...OMG I could have eaten a dozen of these large pretzels.

Our other friends got there, we'll call them Mr. & Mrs. R for the sake to protect the not so innocent.  Neither of them had changed one bit since college.  We jumped right back into the same old jokes, same old slams, and remembering some of the best times we all had in college. They got us updated on a couple other college friends they kept in contact with. They passed around photos of their kids and we ooo'd and aaah'd appropriately. At one point, admittedly though, I was ready to pull out my phone and pass photos of my furry kid.  But I refrained.

I had a beer flight and Mr. R helped me finish some of the beers in this flight. They were mostly good, but there were a couple I wasn't fond of. Turns out I'm not a fan of IPA. Mr. R. however was.  He also "helped" me taste some of the other "flavors. 


By the end of the night we had laughed ourselves senseless.  I sure wish I could see these folks more often. I might have to find a way.  Their lives are certainly busier than mine - what with the kids and all.
 
 

The hotel Blueberry and I stayed in was fantastic. It felt very European. The Hotel deLuxe was downtown without being downtown. It was quaint and our room was quite small. We had a king bed in the room and about a foot around it to walk. The hotel staff was outstanding in their service and that in and of itself is a reason to stay there.

Sunday we got up whenever we wanted. We had plans to meet my sister at another Triple D place, Byways Cafe.  Their claim to fame for me were the biscuits and gravy.  As we stood inside waiting for the sister to show up there was this little tiny waif of a woman eating a platter of these biscuits and gravy. This little thing was maybe 120 lbs fully clothed and soaking wet.  She ate the entire plate.


By the time the sister got there and we were seated, there wasn't any doubt what I'd order.  The biscuits were about 3" tall, so when cut in half the halves were about an inch and half. Tall biscuits.  There were two biscuits cut in half and they were smothered in a rich delicious sausage gravy. 

I only ate about one half and a couple bites of another before I was done.  Blueberry was giving me crap saying that other little waif of a girl ate the entire plate.  I had to point out it was probably the only thing she ate all week.

 
We left the Byways Cafe and headed home.  It was a great weekend and I'm definitely wanting to go back to Portland soon. There were still some things I wanted to do and didn't get a chance to. Blueberry said she had a fantastic birthday weekend and was thrilled to spend it in Portland.  

0 comments: