Sunday, January 04, 2015

People are lonely because they build walls instead of bridges.” - Joseph F. Newton

For a couple of years now I've put on my list of goals to "build and maintain" my relationships.  Over the years I've let many relationship slip away for many reasons. Some good. Some not so good.  Some I miss. Some I don't.

There are reasons this happens to all of us. Life. Life is the main reason. It seems when we were in our 20's keeping relationship together was easy. We were all single. We all had kinda the same goals. We all had the same values. We all had the same interests. Then one by one friends get married and then have kids. Their lives start to pull them away.

Then as we aged, life just happens. Getting together becomes more difficult for a myriad of reasons. And if you are fortunate (or unfortunate) to be the "planner" of your group, you only see some folks when YOU make the effort. That gets old, trust me.

And then you get into your 40's and realize that if you want to see some friends then you HAVE to be ok with being the planner.

And then something tragic happens to one of your friends and you realize you never told them why you love them. (this applies to family too I might add). Then you have regret for not telling them why they made you smile on a particular day, or why you turned to them when you had an issue, or why you loved to hear their laugh...regret. Not something I want in my life...ever again.


So here's my plan. I have a list of friends I see on a regular basis ("regular" is all relative).  I want them to know and understand why I love being friends with them. AND I want to document our friendship. 

The plan...
Step 1: make a list - gut instinct list. Just start jotting down the names of people you think of instantly.
Step 2: Start seeing them. Get them on the calendar to get together.
Step 3: Get a photo with them. Just me and them.
Step 4: Print the photo, make a card and SEND them the photo with a note about why you love them. Or a memory you have of them. Or why you love their laugh or smile. Or when they helped you and maybe didn't know it.
Step 5: Send the card...
Step 6: Of course, scrapbook this project by end of year

I'm not looking for people to respond with, "Oh yah, well I love you because XYZ." I am looking for people to pay it forward.

So what about you? Do you have friends or family you want to tell you love them? What are you waiting for?

0 comments: