Monday, July 04, 2011

Happy 4th of July

This morning instead of sleeping in I figured I'd get out in the sunshine and enjoy it a bit.  So Sparky, my camera and I headed out to go see the Vietnam War Traveling Dignity Wall.  I had gone there a couple of years ago - like 10 - and remember thinking how amazing, and sad, it was to see all those names of men and women who lost there lives to fight for freedom (though some would argue that the Vietnam war wasn't about any freedom for us.)

I took that photo of the little boy in 2001.  And today while I was there I was thinking, that child would be 10 years old today.  Weird how time flies.

See that blue sky? A strange sight on the 4th of July in Seattle.

I spent about 45 minutes there walking up and down the platform and reading as many names in each section as I could.  I thought about who they might have been and what their lives would have been like. And then I thought about what the lives of their loved ones had been like.  Sad, and unnecessary is all I could think.

This guy was standing in the spot when I got there and was standing in that spot when I left.  I so wanted to talk to him and ask him about his story, but I felt like I would be intruding on his "moment". 




As I sit here in the evening listening to the fireworks going off in the not so far distance I'm so thankful that so many men and women were, and are, brave enough to fight for my freedoms.  For my freedom to go and pay my respects for their ultimate sacrifice.


Sparky had to be part of the celebration too.  God I love that car!

0 comments: