Monday, November 28, 2011

Turkey day, Apply Cup and decorating

I know. I know. You've been waiting with baited turkey breath for me to post about my long 4 day weekend. I'm sorry it wasn't sooner, I just didn't feel the blogging mojo.  I'm shocked and stunned at a few folks I know who blog daily. And yet they find interesting things to talk about daily.  Some would argue I could go a year without anything interesting to discuss. But I digress...turkey day was interesting. Dammit!

I started my prep the night before and made the dressing and the broccoli casserole. I figured I might as well get a jump on the day.  I'm glad I did too, it left me unlimited amount of time on Turkey day morning to watch the Macy's parade.  I got bored quickly though and then started to work on the turkey.

Meet Turkey the Hun. This 20 pound bird has fought its last battle.  I only had 6 people eating, including myself, and 20 lbs was MORE than enough. I wanted to make sure the Pantry Goat had some leftovers. And oh boy did she.


I had decided to cook Turkey the Hun in a bag like I had done for several years in a row. It seemed like the right thing to do. I mean the bird turns out so darn good with little to no effort.  I made a mixture of butter, McCormick steak seasoning cayenne and sage for the outside.  I slathered that on Turkey the Hun and made sure to get some of it under the skin as well.  Taking a lesson from the MomUnit who had called earlier with a warning, I washed my hands before attempting to stuff a 20 lb bird into a bag all by yourself.

Let's just say, it was interesting. Turkey the Hun did not take a dive to the floor, or skitter across the counter. I had it firmly in my grip with one hand and maneuvered the bag underneath him with the other.  It seemed to work, but man it was messy. I think most the butter ended up on the bag and me instead of Turkey the Hun.

Into the oven he went.  It does look like he barely fit, but I assure you I did a trial run the night before to be sure he would fit. The MomUnit mentioned it to me earlier in the week when I told her the size of the bird I bought. Her first words were, "Will that fit in your oven?" Good question.  So we tested it.

I mentioned before several traditions the MomUnit and I have. When we actually cook the dinner together we spend an extraordinary large amount of time laughing at our stupidity and the crazy things that happen during the holidays.  Since we weren't with each other this year we called each other... often.  With each crazy thing we did we called and laughed and laughed. I love having that relationship with the MomUnit. 1700 miles away and it still felt like we were in the same kitchen.

The MomUnit's issue this holiday was a skunk who had found its way under their house. Naturally the smell made turkey day challenging, but they managed.  The DadUnit joked as he left to be taken back to the nursing facility that he as glad he didn't have to sleep there that night.  Still a sense of humor.


After Turkey the Hun was in the oven, I got to making the clam dip.  The MomUnit and I make it every holiday and usually "test" half of it before we serve it.  We're very mindful hosts who care that their guests get only the best.

My clam dip this year had a small difference to it. I added soy sauce as well as Worcestershire sauce.  It doesn't call for soy, but since my soy and W sauce are in the same looking squeeze bottles I grabbed the soy accidentally when adjusting the seasoning.  It turned out just fine, but it amused me - and so I called the MomUnit.

My guest started to arrive after 2pm and slowly but surely Turkey the Hun was ready.  I pulled him out and put the dressing, broccoli salad and rolls in the oven. 15 minutes later I was confused as to why the casseroles weren't heated.  I had forgotten I had turned off the oven. So we had to wait a bit more, which was fine since Turkey the Hun had to sit for 30 minutes or more.   


Finally we're ready.

In Chez Jenn tradition we took group photos.  Left to right: Seattle SIL, Puck, BigBro, Pantry Goat, Pantry Goat's Mom, T, and me. 

Serious discussion broke out about leftovers and all going to the Pantry Goat.  As you can see there were some unhappy people.  Okay, not really. We just took a goofy shot.
I saved the wish bone this year. I figured it was a rough year for a lot of people. Maybe I could make a wish and make it mostly get better.  The wish bone is still sitting on my window sill waiting for someone to break it with me. Until then I wish that you all had a perfect turkey day and were stuffed beyond belief.

Sticking with traditions, the following day I decorated.  I love decorating for Christmas.  The tree goes up, all the snow men come out, and the house feels warm and alive with the holiday spirit.  I had help this year. River the Newfy was staying the night and she "helped" decorate by tasting every single ornament that came out of the box.

She's so darn cute. How do you not just want to hug that face? You can tell she was practicing patience with me. But she was a good sport and a great house guest. Though admittedly Pookie didn't think so highly of River.

Anyhow, the tree got decorated. The LandLords came over to help and to enjoy turkey and noodles for dinner.

Saturday was the 104th Apply Cup. The WSU Cougars versus the UofW Huskies.  If the scoring of football was based on penalties, the Cougs would have won. Sadly it doesn't work that way and they lost. Though they didn't get slaughtered, which is good. The LandLords and Blueberry were in attendance to witness the painful defeat. I made nachos with cheese that refused to melt. Despite the name being "Melting cheese" it didn't melt...but that didn't stop us from eating the nachos and a few other yummy appetizers.

So back to work today. It wasn't too bad, in fact went quite fast for a Monday after a holiday.  I'm counting down to Christmas and another trip to Tucson.  That'll be #4 this year in case you're counting. I will have hit Tucson in every season. 

0 comments: