Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Giving Thanks is upon us

I could start almost every blog with "Holy Crap time is flying".  Because frankly, that's what I feel almost every day. There are a few rare days when things seem to slow down (mostly when I'm bored) but otherwise, time is flipping by like in the movies when the pages of a calendar fly by.

So here we are. The day before Turkey Day. I'm ready. Boy and I ready. I've got all the making of one fine turkey day feast.  Why am I so ready?, you ask.  Because I'm a project manager you see and because of that, I plan and I plan and I plan. Everything is thought through and organized. I even did a work break down structure for tomorrows event.  Sounds crazy maybe, but anyone who cooks does a work break down structure, they just don't call it that. 

Thanksgiving day cooking is not hard for me. I've been doing with the MomUnit for as long as I can remember.  Our Thanksgivings always ranged from 25+ people to just a few.  Seems like we cooked the same amount of food for both. WE are Wraspir's after all, and as such we MUST cook for small armies at all times.  It's in the bylaws. Look it up!

The MomUnit and I have a few traditions. I'll be taking photographs tomorrow of some of those.  In fact, I want to really photography tomorrow. One of my goals was to do a better job at photographing family events...well, its November, I'd better get on that goal.

So Tony the Turkey is thawed - mostly. I'll pull him out tonight to let him sit and thaw some more. I think his innards are still frozen. The ingredients for the other items tomorrow are all lined up and ready to be used.  Cheese Whiz is among them. OMG, there is nothing natural about Cheese Whiz.  In fact, I'm pretty sure it's from another planet. But it must be used in the broccoli casserole.  I'm just glad I could find it.  A couple of years ago I couldn't find it at all and there were going to be issues.  Alas, it was found and all was well.

I did a trial run in setting the table last night. I know, laugh if you must at my insanity.  It's okay. I'll wait until you're done.

Done yet?

So as I was saying, I did a trial run for setting the table. I'll have 6 eater tomorrow and I wanted to make sure there was enough room for all the trimmings, all the utensils, all the wine glasses, all the plates, all the everything on the table. Turns our there's not as much room as there should be. My plan is to bring a card table into the dining room and put the food on it instead of all of it on the table.  I was going to do a buffet and have people sit at the table, but figured this would work out better.

Also, I pulled out Grandma Miller's china last night. This china hasn't seen the light of day for a couple of years and I figured why not bring it out for a special occasion.


See ... its a beautiful pattern. Old pattern. I was curious many moons ago about replacing or adding to the set and looked up the pattern. Let's just say in this lifetime I won't be able to afford any of the additions to this set or even a dessert plate...ever.


I had a table cloth I was going to use, but it looked funny with the dishes. I decided I didn't need no stinkin' tablecloth.


See. Not enough room for all the dishes, and all the potential food dishes.  I put the serving platter and bowl on the table as a reference.  As I say this I realize I am a little neurotic, but in a good way.

We're all set. I'm ready to get up and get the process going tomorrow. The MomUnit and I will surely be on the phone a number of times laughing at something stupid that happened while we were preparing dinner.  Hope my dressing turns out okay ... the MomUnit and I usually eat half of it "tasting" it before dinner.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  Be thankful, give thanks, and receive thanks.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

We are so similar :) I too am pulling out the fancy china from TJ's grandmother. I need to find the tablecloth and iron it, and today is the day I cook Vegan Pumpkin Pie ;) Good luck! I know it'll go well. Thanks for the reminder to take some pictures, too.