Monday, December 12, 2011

Monday Sugar Fall

Sugar fall is most certainly what happened last night.  For my December Sunday Dinner I did a cookie exchange. And all the little elves that were invited did a great job brings holiday goodies. But I'll get to that. 

This weekend started out with a viewing of Joseph and the Amazing Technocolored Dreamcoat at the Second Story Repertory Theater. A good friend of mine had one of the leads, and so Blueberry and I figured we'd go see her, then go to our Christmas dinner.  We stopped giving gifts this year, or maybe it was last year, and decided to just go to a nice dinner instead. 

The show was great. Packed theater, great singing, and some fantastic actors.  It was a condensed version - which being that I'd never seen it had me a bit confused at times.  But like I said, all in all it was a great show and something fun/different to do for the holidays.

After the show we went to a restaurant we hadn't been to for almost 12 years. I had bought a GroupOn for Ristorante Simone's that was once in our backyard when we lived in another part of Redmond a thousand years ago.  I remembered the food and the atmosphere being fantastic.  We drove to the restaurant only to find that it wasn't at the location I thought it was.  A quick look at the address and we realized they had moved into this strip mall - that didn't use to be there - across the street.


The decor was hip and trendy, that host gorgeous.  We both figured we'd be happy to have wrapped and under our tree.  Since we had $50 to spend we figured we'd do appetizers.  We ordered their calamari...OMG so good.  They served it with a spicy, very spicy tomato chutney ... and I've gotta say, it was pretty darn tasty.

After we ordered wine, and our entre and proceeded to stuff ourselves silly. No room for dessert.  Unless the host was willing...which our luck he was probably taken or gay.

Then it was up early on Sunday to grocery shop for Sunday dinner. I wanted to do a standing rib roast, but just couldn't stomach the cost - even on sale. So I opted for roast beef. Which, I must say, was delicious.  I served roast beef, this "low-cal" (yah right) potato casserole, Parmesan broccoli and a mixed salad with vanilla-pear vinaigrette - one of my favorites. I'll post the other recipes later this week. 

I had planned for 6 people, so I was all set.  An hour in, we were all sitting around chatting when there was a knock at the door.  I hollered "Come in." and in walk The Landlords. I was quite confused.  I didn't remember I had invited them.  So I had a look, I'm sure, of utter confusion. When I asked Mr. Landlord why he was there he gave me the look of, "Really?".  I felt quite stupid, but thankful that I'm a Wraspir and so cook for a small army. We had plenty of food, with very little leftovers.

Dessert was a cookie exchange.  And as I mentioned everyone got into the fun.  We had pin wheel cookies, Hello Dollies, peanut butter balls, ginger snaps, Junior Mint brownies, Walnut cookies, gum drop cookies, and little decorated gingerbread men. 

 Yum...


 I think the sugar greatly affected us. Oh wait, that's just how we are normally. Never mind.


It was another successful Sunday Dinner.  And as you can tell in both, Puck joined us as well.  He's a big fan of sugar.

0 comments: