Friday, February 17, 2012

Happy Adoptaversary!

Today I'm 30.  Yes. Thirty!  I didn't mistype that.  I really am 30 today.

30 years ago today, my dad adopted me. I officially became a Wraspir -- and my life hasn't been the same since. 

When the MomUnit and the other DadUnit divorced in 1979 I really didn't feel anything. Looking back I was surprisingly ok with the whole thing.  And I'm not sure it effected me one way or another.  It was the MomUnit, The Sister and I against the world.  We moved to Lancaster California to start our new life.

I have no real concept of time a as a kid, but I can summise by doing math that sometime in 1980 or 1981 the MomUnit and the New DadUnit started dating.  I remember the "soon-to-be" New DadUnit coming to pick the MomUnit up for a date. He came in the door so dapper, so handsome, so confident.  I had no idea that one day he'd be my dad.

I had no idea that he'd become such an integral part of who I have become. That his guidance, along with the MomUnit, would help me to build a life I can be proud of.

I had no idea he'd up-root our little family and move us to Washington.

I had no idea he'd up-root our little family again and move us to Saudi Arabia and me to a boarding school in Switzerland.

I had no idea he'd "expect" me to go to college -- no arguments.

I had no idea that he'd be a dad! Not just a father, but a dad.

Happy Adoptaversary Dad!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

congratulations :)