Monday, November 26, 2012

As the days go by...

You may or may not recall but about a week or so ago I was in San Diego with The MomUnit, Seattle SIL, Blueberry and Queen PopUp.  Seattle SIL was walking in the San Diego 3 day with Princess Lori and Princess Carla.  So since they were going to be down there we decided to make a vacation out of it. 

I hadn't been to SD since I was like 15.  I know I wasn't 16 yet because I was driving on a permit. The DadUnit and MomUnit rented a car and let me drive.  A HUGE no-no we later found out.  In my nervousness of driving on the freeways, and an unfamiliar car I signaled to change lanes with my windshield wipers instead of the signal. I've yet to live that down.

Anyhow...

SD is gorgeous.  It was nice to be back in Cali again.  I had forgotten how incredibly insane it was down there and the drivers...Holy cow...they are so unlike Washington drivers on so many levels.  First off, we're "polite" drivers. No cutting people off. In fact, if you do get cut off you assume it's a Californian driving.

We also use our signals when we change lanes.  Well, mostly. 

Anyhow...

SD was a blast. We went and did all the touristy things we possibly could and then some.  Blueberry, unfortunately, wasn't feeling her bestest, but she trudged on like the trooper she is. 

Day one in SD was Tuesday.  We decided to do the Hop-on / Hop-off trolley that took off out of Old Town SD.

Old town was awesome. It's not real by any stretch of imagination, but it's a nice area where you do get an idea of what "old" San Diego may have been like. 


Dia de los Muertos stuff was all over the place. Considering this was pretty close to DDLM I wasn't too surprised. But it did remind me of Mexico in a huge way.

This is my pal Don Quixote.  I wanted to buy him and put him in my yard. Blueberry said no.

But what would she know, I think the sombrero was squeezing her head.

P-Dot enjoying my beer.
The trolley took us all over SD and there are some interesting things about SD and some not so interesting things about SD. 

One of the interesting things is Coronado. A beautiful island - well peninsula really.  We ended up there on another day and spent some time looking around and enjoying the view.




The MomUnit and I had wanted to try some restaurants in the area that were part of the show Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.  I have an app on my iPhone called FlavorTown (Thanks Nils) that told us what was in the area. So Tuesday night we opted for The Blue Water Seafood Market and Grill.  Can I just say, without any reservations, BEST halibut tacos I've had in a long, LONG time.



Its not much to look at from the outside, and even less on the inside. Nothing fancy here, but really fresh and really delicious food.

They're ordering is interesting. You basically choose your species - what type of fish do you want, then you pick a marinade - like garlic butter, teriyaki, etc, and then you pick sandwich, salad, plate, or tacos.  Super easy and super delicious. Their menu is here if you wanna check out how crazy it was.

We stood in line for what seemed like forever, but it was well worth the wait. And in tradition of the crab hats, we took a photo.


You know the story about the crab hats right?

It started in San Francisco and Seattle SIL was going to buy one, and somehow the MomUnit bought us all some.  It's great. We can find each other anywhere we go.  Blueberry is new to the crab hat group and so she had to go through a small initiation. She had to baby sit and care for the crab hats.

Every night she had to put them to bed.

We named them this trip too. From Left to Right: Shelly the Mutant (that's Sherrie's hat and it's a bit different from ours), Abby, Norma, Clawdia, and Crusty - though Crusty isn't pictured here. Not sure where that old crab was.
She had to feed them.


And she had to carry them every where with her and make sure they could see what was going on. They get very cranky, these crabs, when they can't see what's going on around them.


This was the crabs in the overhead compartment on the plane. When the steward opened it to find room I thought he was going to wet himself.


She was a good sport about it and is welcomed into the crab fold.

I got endless enjoyment with posting on FaceBook that Blueberry had crabs. It never gets old for me.

Tomorrow I'll recount San Juan Capistrano for you. We visited the mission on Wednesday of our week in SD and I've gotta say, BEST THING EVER to do.  I love that old, historical stuff.

More Old Town Photos and SD photos can be found here.


0 comments: