Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Life is a highway

I often wonder if my "highway" will forever be under construction. The song "Life is a Highway" doesn't actually ever say that the "highway" is completed and should therefore be used on a regular basis. My "highway" appears to have lost a major section of it and is now under reconstruction...again.

I've been in the same role for approximately 3 years. I love the group. I love the company (Hotel Californiasoft is in my blood) and I've learned a lot. But that's all coming to a sad, and somewhat immediate end.

I had been living this last year under a cloud of assumption that I would continue on in this group. I heard in April that my role was going to change slightly but that it would still be "my role." My gut told me then that I should update my resume. 

In middle of June I found out that in fact my role has changed, significantly, and I'm welcome to interview for the new role.  Say what?

And just like that - WHAM - my job highway got turned upside down.

The new role isn't one I'm interested in. While I could do it, and do it well, its a administrative role and one that would feel like a HUGE step back for me.  Not to mention it would be awkward to interview with team members who knew my skill set. They'd be wondering, as would I, why I was interviewing. Was it just to have a job?

So my highway is under construction again. I'm out there looking, actively, for another job.  Plenty of opportunities out there as the end of the fiscal year comes to a close for Hotel Californiasoft and a new year, with new money opens up.  See, if you're open to contract work, then you have more options.

I have my irons in the fire and have lined up several interviews, phone and in person. I'm working on a job right now that I would LOVE to have. We shall see.

So - here we go again. I'm sad to be leaving this team, but am open to the new opportunities that are out there for me.  Watch this space. A new job will be mine soon.

0 comments: