Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Race for the Cure

I still have to talk about the scattering of the DadUnit's ashes, but truth be told I've not gone through all the photos yet and so want to wait until those are ready.  Suffice it to say, the weekend was fantastic and Dad would have loved to see all the family together ...while for a sad reason, we were together.

The MomUnit is staying with me for a week or so as are the Oodles of Poodles she travels with. The kittens - well Linus - is okay with the Oodles of Poodles. Lucy has a hissy fit - literally - when they move or she realizes they are in the room as she walks past them. She's "fine" with them, but not like Linus. Linus thinks he's a dog apparently.

This past weekend was the Race for the Cure. If you remember my jogging goal was to jog the entire 5K - turns out I wasn't quite ready for that. So I've adjusted my goal.

Still I did manage to run for 35 minutes straight, and a total of 37 minutes.  The course was down hill for the first half and uphill for the second. You can imagine which half I jogged.


Did I mention I jogged a whole 37 minutes? 

I sometimes have to shake my head when I think about it because me jogging that long sounds so odd. I'm thrilled I'm still jogging...though admittedly the second half of the race that was all up hill - and I was walking it - I was cursing the entire idea of jogging and why I would even consider doing this.


But I made it over the finish line. Didn't fall, didn't stumble, didn't collapse in total exhaustion. Okay, I did do that. But the rest is true.


Don't you love how my jacket's all ascew? Yah me too. It's sexy.

You know I think about how horrible a breast cancer diagnosis must be. And how scary. And how unnerving. And how it changes your whole life.  And how I wish this disease would go away. And how I wish we could find a cure. And how I wish no other mother, daughter, sister, Aunt, grandmother, friend, would have to go through this.

And then I think, despite all that, I've met some pretty damn amazing people because of it. 


Back LTR: BigBro, Blueberry, me, SSIL, Mrs. Hotlanta, Princess Lori
Front LTR: Princess Carla, E, and Chicago
I'd not know most of those people in that photo. I wouldn't have the relationship I have with BigBro and Seattle SIL if not for breast cancer.
 
And I wouldn't have Blueberry in my life if not for the amazing things Susan G. Komen has done and is doing.  So say what you will about SGK, and I hope you never EVER have to go through a diagnosis and be treated by something that was funded by SGK...but if you do, you may be glad they're around.
 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazing work, Jenn! That is so awesome that you are a runner.