Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Sunday Dinner...Dad Style

First let me say that since my last ranting post I feel better. I'm still a bit miffed, and disappointed, and now not so sure what I'm going to do for a vacation this year, but I'm slowly getting over it. I was, however, amused at the folks who read it all commented to me personally by saying, "Wow - you didn't hold back." Let that we a lesson to you.

Sunday was yet another fun filled, Wraspir Sunday dinner. We had a special guest this month, the MomUnit. And of course the two little demons kittens. I don't think Linus was every on the floor.  He sacked out in just about every person's lap or arms. 

We had 15 people this month - which is an all time high for me.  I, naturally, was worried we wouldn't have enough food. Thankfully I called in a last minute, "Can you bring...?" favor and we were just fine.  In fact better than fine.

This month I did tri-tip again. Last time I made tri-tip I killed it. As in over cooked it so badly.  Dad would have been miffed for sure.

So I figured I would try it again.  I also had found some Pinquito beans to make.  I can't tell you how many fond memories of have of the Mom/DadUnit making tritip and pinquito beans for a huge crowd of friends.  It is one of those memories I will forever hold dear.

The MomUnit made the pinquitos on Saturday so they had a day to sit. And let me tell you...she did not disappoint.  Even though I joked with her that "dad" had always made the beans. Turns out dad had always taken credit for making the beans. Naturally.

What are pinquito beans you ask? Well, pinquitos are small pink beans - a miniature cousin of the pink bean that has a very distinctive flavor and is only grown in the Santa Maria Valley. We used to be able to find them everywhere - at least it seemed like that to me. Then moving to Washington you can't find them anywhere. Occasionally I can find them in a can and thus use them in my chili recipe, but never as a dry bean to make from scratch. I found mine from Susie Q's website.

Photo by Susie Q


Anyhow, back to the meal. The tritip was BBQ'd perfectly this time - I think with a little help of me running out of propane.  Thankfully I learned my lesson on that and had a spare.  I took the roasts off (BTW I can only find tritip roasts at Costco. I keep asking my local QFC to carry it and they keep not listening to me - rude) early and let them rest. In preparing them however, I did the Dad trick.

First let me tell you about Dad's rub.  He made the best meat rub.  We all loved it and all of us are kicking ourselves now because dad didn't write it down and NONE of us have it.  BigBro and SSIL have a small sample of the rub that we could try to replicate. But I doubt any of us could EVER get the right mix on it.

Moving on...so I used a McCormick's steak rub that I've found to be pretty close to Dad's and tastes darn good. But the key to the tritip is pieces of garlic stuck inside the meat. Dad used to use the back of a wooden spoon and make several holes in the roast. He'd then stuff that with a piece of garlic.  Man does that make a good flavor.

All in all it was a great dinner.  The cats were pooped out after - thank you to everyone who helped tire them out - and so was the MomUnit and I.


They seem so "normal" before I feed them.
Cast of Characters:
Back row / left to right: Blueberry, PhotoGirl, The Yank, New Guy that belongs to the Pantry Goat, Mrs. Chicago, Mrs. Landlord, Me.

Front Row / left to right: Mr. Queen PopUp, Queen PopUp, The MomUnit, Big Bro and Seattle SIL - who may be know as Mrs. Crabby soon (not because she's a crab but because she takes her crab hat every where with her).


Then they eat and all bets are off.

0 comments: