Monday, June 16, 2014

Killing Kennedy: The end of Camelot

I happen to love the month's Seattle SIL picks the books for book club. She always picks biographical type books. Historical, non-fiction types. Those types of books are rarely on my radar. Once in a blue moon one will float to the top and I'll read it, but it's not my go to.

So when Seattle SIL picked Killing Kennedy by Bill O'Reilly (whom I'm no fan of) I wasn't sure. I knew I'd love the content about Kennedy, but wasn't sure what to expect of something written by Bill O'Reilly.  I wondered "how much could actually be true?"

The book goes through some easy years of Kennedy through his assassination in 1963.  The author - Bill - focuses on the details without boring the heck out of you. I found I learned quite a bit about Kennedy and the White House of the early 1960's.  For example, I had no idea Kennedy was a philanderer. And that Jackie knew about it and didn't really care much.  I also had no idea they had a third child, Patrick, who lived just a couple of days. 

This book gripped me in a way I hadn't expected. I enjoy reading about history mostly (and I enjoy the history channel quite a bit) and expected this book to be dry and boring. It was none of those things.  Bill O'Reilly (despite his controversial nature) did a stand up job recounting the days Kennedy learned all the intricate details of being the President of the United States.

Bill also wrote Killing Lincoln and Killing Jesus. It just so happens that when I was purchasing the book on my Nook, I accidentally purchased Killing Jesus.  Now I find myself interested in both Killing Jesus and Killing Lincoln. 

My recommendation is to read this book. It's 248 pages and is a quick read.  My "bullsh*t" meter only went off once or twice, but some quick fact checking on the Internet (which always has the truth-hahahah) showed that what Bill wrote was "truthful" to some.

0 comments: