Sunday, June 11, 2017

Blarney Castle - Sheep - Killarney

So here I sit in Killarney thinking about the day we had. What a busy busy day.

We left Cork bright and early and headed to the Blarney Castle.  The whole way there I debated whether I was going to climb the 127 steps to the top or not. Truthfully I wasn't sure I could make it.

Once there Janet and I were #3 and #4 in the entrance. We booked it to the castle. A good walk from the entrance. And before I had time to even consider it I was climbing. And climbing and climbing.

Now, just the climbing is bad enough. But worse is it's a circular staircase made for a small child. I am neither small nor a child. It got tight in there. I was joking about having to send for some Kerry butter to get me out of there.



Alas, we made it. Huffing and puffing I was on the top of the Blarney Castle. I had absolutely no desire at all to kiss that stone. First off, whomever told me they wipe it down after every kiss is a big fat liar. And second of all, the position you have to get into...no way jose.



After the fearful climb down - felt like forever - we wondered the grounds. They were spectacular. Just beautiful.

Back in the coach, we headed to Killarney. Killarney is in the county of Kerry and the landscape has changed every so slightly. Lush and green still, but a bit more mountainous.

After lunch we got to do the one thing I had been waiting the entire trip to do. Witness a sheep dog in action. We stopped at a local farm who's shepherd talked to us about the sheep, the cows of the area, the grass, the dogs, etc. He had such a thick accent that I could barely understand him. As we were standing waiting, he released the sheep who took off into the field. The dog, Rose was her name, stood by him patiently. With one nod of his head, she bolted after those sheep. And I mean bolted. She was so fast I couldn't catch her on the camera. And before long, those sheep were right back at the gate with us. She paced around them and they stood completely still. If any of them made the slightest move she moved with it.


BTW, the sheep are all marked a certain color to denote being his sheep. The shepherds in the area all share the mountains and the sheep roam freely during the summer months. In order to know who's are who's they mark them with a colored dye.

The concentration on her face was so amazing.You could almost see her thinking. Towards the end of the demonstration he had released the sheep and kept her tied up for a bit while he talked to us. Then he wanted her to bring them in. She took off. Only she was going after the wrong sheep. She must have been easily a football field length away, if not slightly more. He yelled her name "ROSE" and pointed with his cane in the other director. That darn dog stopped in her tracks and ran in the other direction after the sheep he was pointing at A FOOTBALL FIELD LENGTH AWAY! I was just amazed.

Oh and it rained the entire time we were outside watching this. Most folks stayed on the bus, but not me man. I had to be out in the downpour attempting to get photos.

As we entered Killarney, we were dropped off for a jaunting ride. Basically a horse and carriage ride, through the national park here. It was just beaufitul. The flora and fauna here is amazing. They say anything will grow in Ireland because the temperature stays the same year round. And based on the forest I believe it. We saw red deer on our trip and they acted as if they didn't care at all we were there.

This is George - our horse


Finally made it to the hotel and I was just exhausted. Janet stepped out for a quick walk and I took a quick nap.

Tomorrow we head to Dingle and apparently see some of the prettiest land in all of Ireland.

0 comments: