Monday, June 05, 2017

Day 2 - Ireland - Dublin

We made it! What a long freakin' trip. I forget how long the transatlantic trips can be. We made it to Amsterdam and waited. But before that...

We flew Delta, Delta is one of my favorite airlines and they again proved why. Now favorite airlines are very subjective for sure, but Delta has been on the top of my list for some time. We were an hour late leaving Seattle. So Delta bought a bunch of Papa John's Pizzas for us. Once we took off they delivered the pizza to us. So we had pizza as an appetizer.

We had ok seats, but the flight wasn't full - and even though it wasn't full we didn't move seats. Sleeping was almost impossible so we just dozed. I watched Beauty and the Beast and started Jackie (horrible movie by the way). They fed us the entire time too. It was crazy.

We hit Amsterdam and sat for 4 hours. That 4 hours was long. We were exhausted and the coffee wasn't great. We got on the puddle jumper to Dublin  and WHAM I was out. But then they fed us too. We had the craziest sandwich. It was chicken - like deli meat chicken, on wheat bread, with a sweet pepper spread. Yah, Y'all know I was likely to not eat that...but I did and it was decent. Either that or I was starving.

In the Amsterdam hotel though, we found ourselves giggling because when we walked into the bathroom there was guy in there cleaning it...while us women were using it. No one seemed to mind. Janet looked at me and basically said that wouldn't happen in the US.

Then in the stall there was this little box that said to put some TP under it and a little squirt of purell would come out so you can wipe down the toilet. SAY WHAT? I did get a photo of it, and of course used it, but the photo's on the cell phone and I can't get it off over here.

But the best part of Amsterdam was my blond moment. Now, I blame being exhausted, but you all know that there's some truth to my blond roots.

My cell phone was running out so while we were waiting I decided to go charge my phone. I just stood there with my phone out, charger in hand staring at this odd outlet. It took me a minute to realize that my charger wouldn't fit and I'd have to wait until I got the converter and the right plug in.

Ugh.

We mad it though. Dublin customs took forever, but our driver was waiting for us and dropped us at the hotel (Ballisbridge Hotel) Then tonight we did a meet and greet and talked about "house keeping" - rules for the road if you will. It amazes me you have to tell adults some of the things they were reminding us about, but alas, not everyone is as molded and refined as I am. Snicker snicker.

That followed by a horrible dinner. The only thing good about this dinner was the wine. But the dinner was in the hotel and I ordered the steak and it came out so well done I was tempted to drop it to the floor and ask for a chainsaw to cut through it. Our table companions were fnatastic...a chatty bunch which I love.

Oh small world...Janet is forever running into people she knows no matter where we go. She was on a cruise in 2013 to Germany with BigBro. There was a couple on the cruise that they just adored and got to know. There's a Woodinville Winery connection here that I can't remember. But turns out the couple at the table with us, that's there aunt! Crazy.

Oh and lastly, I'm the youngest person on this trip!

Tomorrow we get to do a city tour, Trinity College, which includes the Book of Kells and the library (I cannot wait to shoot the library). Then we have the afternoon off. Janet and I will likely go to Temple Bar district and find some pubs to check out.

0 comments: