Thursday, May 09, 2019

Ohhh the burn....

I'm still riding that motivation wave. I'm going to do that as long as I can and try to remind myself that every day is another day towards feeling better, making a habit, and treating myself the way I deserve. 

Yesterday was the first official personal trainer session. I spent hours prior trying to think of an excuse to not "be able to make it". Even the idea of having paid for this wasn't really enough to keep my head in the game. As the day progressed I finally realized what I was doing and just stopped. It's amazing how YEARS of habit really is a dangerous thing. 

I got there and met up with Zohan the Great (that's what I'm calling him and he thinks it's hilarious). Our first task was to measure every single part of my body and *gasp* do a BMI test. I didn't even ask what my BMI was because I think I know it's AT LEAST in the 40%. At any rate, he wrote it down in his magical booklet about me and he'll tell me where I've improved. 

We measured all the normal stuff, chest, abdomen, hips and then we measured each limb - top and bottom of  the limb), my neck, and my shoulders.  All those measurements he gave me so we can track. We'll be measuring every 2 weeks...which seems like a lot, BUT that means I have to get my butt in gear to actually make changes. He's convinced in two weeks we'll see changes. I'm skeptical, but that's Negative Jenn talking. 

He put me on a resistance machine last night for upper strength. There were three different exercise for arms and each one was done in 45 second intervals. By the end of it I was shaking. My arms were so tired that they trembled. I get done with the last one and as we're walking away he says, "You know you can take it slower and break in between if you want." Now you tell me. I suspected it was a test but at least now I know it's about quality and not quantity. 

Our last adventure was on the elliptical. He had previously told me he didn't want me doing the elliptical - but what he meant was how I was doing the elliptical. He set up a High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) for me that KICKED....MY....A$$. Oh Lord...and what's worse, I only did half of what he wants me to do. 

His motivation towards me is a welcome change to the inner dialog I have with myself all the time. How did I get here? How did I get so negative about myself? It's gradual I'll tell you that. I used to feel relatively carefree and positive about almost everything. Then something happened - when it started I don't know, but it did and now I have to dig myself out of it. 

Oh and by the way...you remember that homework of I mentioned a couple of days ago? One of them was to do a push up every time I open the fridge. Do you know how many times I open the fridge when I'm home? My water is in there...let's just say it's a lot and I'm behind in the number of Push Ups. 

Last thing...little win for me yesterday. After my work out (from 5-6) I was starving. My brain said to just swing by Jersey Mike's and grab a sandwich. I mean I'm right there. It would be simple. I'd be able to eat immediately when I got home, blah blah blah. Excuse Excuse Excuse...Then my other brain kicked in and told me that I had healthy stuff at home and it wouldn't take more than 30 minutes to cook it. I'd survive. And you know what, I'm glad I did. I did survive and I felt way better about what I ate than what I would have felt like. That's one in the "W" Column. 

0 comments: