Monday, June 10, 2019

Low Carb / High Protein - It's a go!

In 2015 I visited a nutritionist who put me on a low carb and high protein eating plan. It worked. I was the problem. I hit a plateau and I stopped all together. Guess who gained all that weight back? Ahhhh this girl. 

Health has been on my mind a lot lately. I'm most likely pre-diabetic (getting blood checked soon) and I really REALLY don't want to be diabetic in any way shape or form. 

I also started thinking about Dad and how judgy I was when he'd eat crazy things and he was diabetic and I'd be all, "Why can't you make better decisions?" And here I am...totally capable of making better decisions...so why not. 

If you've read my blog for the years I've been doing it, or know me in any way, you know dieting is ALWAYS a part of my life. I wish I had the discipline required to really stick to something. Here's the thing...I'm an all or nothing personality and I use that to my disadvantage. 

For example, diets to me mean that I have to deprive myself of things I love. That makes me angry and I then stop. Truth is...it doesn't deprive me. It means I have to be honest about eating all that good unhealthy stuff in moderation. I mean, let's face it, very few of us are "on" our eating plan all the time. But if I can be on it 80% of the time, that's OK with me. Life is life and I want to be able to enjoy it where food is concerned. My life revolves around food. Always have...and it always will. So why not embrace it. 

Here's the thing, I am in control of what I put in my mouth. Let's make it mostly good stuff. 

I started planning and cooking prior to vacation and felt really good about the decisions I was making. Didn't weigh myself much so not sure if any weight was actually lost. The number is just that...a number. I FELT better. That is worth it to me. Also, turns out I didn't gain an ounce on vacation. Which is odd considering how we ate. But I'll take it. 

Anyone interested in joining me and keeping us all accountable, let me know. I'm all in. 

Exercising will start up again tomorrow. I came back with a heckuva cold and just didn't feel the exercising. Trainer begins again tomorrow. 

So, let's talk about what I'm actually doing. 

Carbs. 
Dr. B wants me to be less than 70 grams of net carbs a day. Net carbs is basically carbs minus fiber. So if you have something that's 20 grams of carbs and 5 grams of fiber, you have 15 net grams of carbs. This will be the toughest thing for me. I LOVE my carbs. 

He wants me to be at 110grams of protein a day. This, oddly, is also hard. People get a lot of protein with eggs and I'm not a fan of eggs, so I'll have to figure something out. 

Lastly, he'd like to keep my calories at 1800. That should be easy. 

Now...time to get cooking for dinner. What's for dinner...? Cowboy Style Beef with Veggie Ragout

0 comments: