Sunday, June 02, 2019

That's a Wrap

Sitting here in the hotel in Copenhagen I find myself reflecting on the vacation. It's one of my most favorite times of the vacation - which sounds weird I know - but I love to think about all the things I've learned, what I'd do different for the next, things to keep doing, etc. Basically a post mortem.

A friend of mine told me that she often looks at he favorite, least favorite and the just okay after each day. I did that with the group when we went to Scotland. It's pretty common that we all have the same favorites, but there are times when we don't.

Janet asked me today my favorites.

Copenhagen and the time we spent there is by far the favorite. Seeing so much of the city and getting to spend time with good friend from TASIS, Claudia. That was awesome. So much history I didn't know but was glad to have learned.

The cruise was harder to find a favorite. This wasn't my most favorite cruise, but it still ranks up there. Norway is a beautiful country. Too bad we couldn't see some of it because of the rain and, for me, because my foot wasn't playing well with others. I missed out on a few towns and walking around them because of the sore foot.

Of the stops on the cruise, Geiranger was my favorite, followed by Stavanger and the fjords we didn't see because of rain. Geiranger was just beautiful. Gorgeous weather, all types of weather in one day and such beauty all around. Stavanger, the fact the rain, cold and wind were about made me laugh. You fly half way around the world to see something and Mother nature has her own plans. The fact we stood in front of this boat with our camera's ready, wet and frozen makes me smile. It's one of my favorite moments.

Least favorite was Kristiansand. Our excursion was boring and didn't offer anything interesting. The little town we stopped in was cute, but closed up tight so couldn't even go into shops. The boat ride was fun to be on a boat, but we were basically floating around looking at everyone's summer homes.

I'm certainly not disappointed in coming on this trip. Never disappointed in traveling. And, as I said, Norway is beautiful. It did not surpass the Barcelona cruise, Ireland or Scotland though.

Royal Caribbean cruise line wasn't great. I found I compared everything to Norwegian - which is my favorite, and Royal Caribbean just didn't meet the expectation. The cabin was nice, clean and large enough to not feel closed in. The main dining experience was great (other than we had to sit with other people and that's not one of my favorite things. It turned out nice though.). Their buffet/cafeteria options sucked. Nothing great upstairs. A ton of disrespectful rude people and the food was just meh.

On a scale of one to 10, I would give this trip a solid 7.

Now, time to get home. Earn more $$. Get more vacation and plan the next trip - which is actually Boston in Sept - then a cruise in May.

Signing off from Denmark. See you all back in the states.

0 comments: