Thursday, October 27, 2022

Nashville - Day 1

Now that I've been home from Nashville for well over a week. I think I'm finally ready to write all about it. 

This was a weird trip for me. I wasn't overly interested in Nashville - being that I'm not a country music fan. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that Nashville was fun. What wasn't fun was all the damn pain I was in. Day 1 my left knee was acting up which meant the day we were going to walk all over the place was difficult and exhausting (it's very exhausting to be in pain). On top of the the back was still not great. The ride didn't help that's for sure. So day 1 was a bit much. The knee got better, and the back a little better - but not great - as the week progressed. Then the day before we were to come home I came down with a cold. Blech. All in all, not my favorite vacation. 

But let me back up. Let me talk you through each day. 

Day 1 - Oct 27

Here we are! Nashville. The flight was fine and now we do the tourist thing. 

We were headed to Broadway to walk it and see what Nashville has to offer. 

Broadway is a trip. The street is lined with honky tonks blaring music out every door. And by blaring I mean BLARING. It was so loud, and frankly annoying. I felt like I was changing radio stations too fast. Each door playing another song...another country song. Though to be fair, a lot of the country I heard was 90s country songs, which was when I last listened to country music. I did find myself singing along with each new door we passed. 





We walked - check that - they walked I hobbled up one side and down the other. Blueberry was in 7th Heaven. She loves all things country and kept hollering out who owned what honky tonk. She acted as if I knew who she was talking about. But, I swear, she was like a kid in a candy store. 

We lunched at the famous Jack's BBQ on Broadway. That's when I realized we were in for a treat. The food prices are SO FREAKIN in expensive. 





After Broadway we walked past the historic Ryman Museum. There is a lot of history (Country music history that is) in this building. We plan on going through the museum on Monday. 

Just down the road from the Ryman is Printer's Alley. It's where BB King used to play. Now it felt a lot like a seedy part of town that maybe we shouldn't be in. 







On our way back to the car I was talking about how much I wanted a coffee. So we decided we'd look for a cute little coffee shop or something. Instead, Janet found this ice cream shop and I figured ice cream is like coffee, right? 

The ice cream creations were amazing. I wasn't overly hungry for a huge ice cream thing, so I had a small peanut butter and chocolate shake. It was the perfect size. Kathy stuck with a scoop ( a very large scoop) of ice cream, but the others went all out. 

My little shake

Janet and Ashley's MONSTER shake

Sherrie and her Salted Caramel shake

Dinner that night was meeting up with the whole fam and some of the friends of the brides. It was nice to see the whole fam again. It had been since Mom's celebration of life in 2017. 


After feasting on Mexican food it was to bed to sleep it off. Friday we were the Grand Ole Opry. Oddly, I'm looking forward to seeing the Grand Ole Opry.

0 comments: