Saturday, March 04, 2023

London Baby

My entire life I've lacked the "lucky" gene. I don't win things. I have bad gambling karma. And I generally am the raffle winner who puts in ALL the tickets and wins nothing. It's a good life. It keeps my expectations low and me humble. That all changed on a cold day in Seattle last week. 

I woke to an "urgent" 7am meeting from my boss. I immediately started sweating wondering if today was the day I was fired. Or what mistake I had made to cost the company. Insert any panic stricken thought you can come up with. I had them. This, I know, is a version of PTSD because back in the day the last "urgent" 7am meeting from my boss, I got fired. So I get nervous. 

All the same, I got my coffee and dialed into the Zoom call and waited for him to show up. It was snowing, and the anticipation of potentially losing my job had me in a bad mood. I was already creating stories in my head around what I was going to do. Soon his admin dialed in and her attitude didn't give anything away. She calmly said he was running behind but was on his way. She asked about the weather and we chatting about the difference between our 34F versus her 80F in Tampa. 

Finally, he dialed in. He wasn't on video so I couldn't really gage his expression. Then he starts, "Well Jenn..." I held my breath. My heart was racing. I had worked myself up into quite the panic. He continues, "Well Jenn, you won!" 

Won? Wait, what? 

He said, "You won the free trip to London to see the Inside Man Premier". I was still silent. His admin had to ask if I was still there. Finally, my brain kicked in and I said, "Are you serious? I won? That never happens." 

That's right, I won a free trip to London! 

So here's why a free trip was even available. 

My company, KnowBe4, has a series called The Inside Man. It's a series of 8 minute episodes telling a story that actually teaches you about security and privacy. It's very well done and has quite the following with our customers. There are currently 4 seasons. Season 5 is being released this March and to make a splash they have a movie premier of it. We invite customers and fans to this premier and its a very big deal for many people. 

This year, my boss came up with the idea to send one of the Courseware team's employees. So in our last large team meeting he announced that everyone who has been nominated as Teammate of the Month will be added to a drawing for a free trip to London to attend The Inside Man premier. 

I remember at the time of this announcement thinking, "Wouldn't it be cool?" Followed quickly by, "No need to worry since you don't have that type of luck." 

Turns out I do! 

The company is paying for my air and 2 nights in a hotel (along with food for those days). And since I figured I was all the way over in London, I might as well stay over the weekend. 

This is a quick turn for me and travel. Once I learned I was going, I immediately went into planner mode. And then I freaked out because my bone spur is still not heeled and I got to wondering how I'd walk around London. For a millisecond I thought I might decline the trip. Then I realized, I can do what I can and that'll be enough.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go buy a lotto ticket while my luck is on the positive side.

0 comments: