Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Did you know cockroaches can fly?

I didn't. But that story to come.

We made it to the big island. And I'll say again, its a big island. We got in yesterday after spending Christmas with our long time friends the Dionisio's on Oahu. Christmas day we headed to some friends of theirs for another feast. Let me just tell you I almost laughed out loud when we entered their house...it was a throw back from the 70's...and not NEW retro...this was literally the original retro. Let me see if I can explain it well enough. When we entered the house the first thing I noticed was a green...um excuse me...70's olive green green. And to top it all off...it was shag. The walls were the same color olive green. It was hideous. But wait...it gets better. They literally had an ORANGE couch and orange and green wallpaper. All together I felt like I should be singing Night Fever. But the food again, was fantabulous. My god can these Filipinos friends cook.

As the night progressed out came the band. Yep, band. The family is full of talented vocal types. So the band started and individually people got up and sang. Us Washingtonian's stayed put and just clapped when the songs ended.

We landed on the big island yesterday and were immediately greeted by humidity. Got in our rental convertible and headed to our timeshare. Too funny but the condo community we're staying in is the same condo that we "visited" last time we were here. Which is cool because this place rocks. There are 8 pools and a ton of sun.

BigBro, Seattle SIL and kids joined us yesterday afternoon. We all headed to Bubba Gumps for dinner. Now...this is where the cockroach story comes into play. We were seated at a nice table on the balcony. As I was leisurely sipping my volcano punch ( sipping being the operative word because it was a tough one ) a cockroach flew and landed on my arm and scurried down my arm and across the table toward my niece who screamed as loud as I did. First off...I had no idea that cockroaches could fly. Secondly, they have NO business being on my arm. I had the heeby jeebies the rest of the night.

Today, BigBro, Seattle SIL and the girls and I headed to the Point of Refuge. The legend is that when a person was accused of a crime or something, they had to make this enormous trek through very treacherous areas. If they made it they were absolved of their sins.

Keep posted. I'll be adding more later.

2 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

Flying roaches... NICE! Vicky and I are heading out to Hawaii in March... we can't wait...

Al & Jo said...

Scream??? Did you say you let out a scream? Hell, they could hear you on the mainland! Actually, it was pretty funny...given that I was sitting across the table from you and I was sure I was going to be wearing your drink!

Mom