Saturday, May 23, 2009

"The DMQ "Pretty In Pink" 80's Prom night is the perfect Jenn storm."

The fact that I have a headache this morning "should" be an indication of how great the Prom was last night. Sadly, I think the headache is lack of hydration. Stinks to get old, don't it.

Though the fact that my ears are still ringing, and 80's tunes are still floating around in my head IS a TOTALLY AWESOME indication of the night we had last night. And I reached a whole new Stalker Level last night. Not only did the drummer recognize me at the door, waved and said, "Hey Jenn". But I totally got whacked by a microphone stand during the show and got a "Ooo Sorry" from the lead singer. And I have the bruise to prove the latter - though I can't show anyone because it whacked me on my chest bone. Ouch! Still you can see more photos here.

Right...so anyhow...

We got to Neumo's early as usual and found ourselves a perch in which we can watch the going's on's around us. With it being an 80's prom theme you can only imagine what we witnessed. When we approached the building my heart was already thumping as we listened to Walk Like an Egyptian blaring on the sidewalk. Entering the venue we were welcomed with open arms by pink and black crate paper streamers hanging from the ceiling. Pink and Black balloon bouquets were scattered here and there to give it the "not just your everyday dance" look and feel. In the far corner was a real life photographer with a real life Prom Picture Set up. (Side Note: even though we weren't dressed up Blueberry wouldn't play along and get a prom picture with me. She mumbled something about wanting a "real" prom date. Whatever.) We danced our way upstairs to the tune of Hungry Like the Wolf and planted ourselves on a second floor balcony to "watch" the crowd below. What ensued from there was a constant muttering of "OMG - look at that" to "I totally love this song" to "Wow, now that's some big hair!" ... and so on. You get my drift right. We stood there and gawked and gasped at what people brought out of their closets for this prom night.


Then some poor, slightly inebriated, sap tried to pick up Blueberry. Mr. Volleyball and I were laughing hysterically at this guys opening line - Guys - I do not recommend this. It's lame and we can see right through you. Said Sap saunters up and says, "So I'm trying to determine which was the better 80's movie Back to the Future or Breakfast Club, what do you think?" as he points at Blueberry who promptly says, "What?". I swear the music was so loud we could barely think. So Sap says it again and we all, "Breakfast Club". It should be noted here that Breakfast Club and Back To the Future really can't be compared side by side. One's a guy's flick and one's clearly a chick flick...so the comparison is all wrong. If he had said the better of say Pretty in Pink and The Breakfast Club - us girls would have to seriously think that one over.

But I digress. The Sap stayed with us for just a moment longer and sauntered off once he realized we were way too cool for him. We watched him throughout the night toss that old line out to a bunch of different women. I affectionately started calling him Blueberry's Boyfriend. All night I'd say, "Blue, there's your boyfriend." and I'd point in his direction.

And yes, you see flamingos on the stage. I had to have a quick thought as to why flamingos, then I realized it was a "Pretty in Pink" theme...one more blond moment in the books.

They opened with the quintessential 80's tune, Don't you Forget About Me...I mean really? That song screams 80's. I snapped a shot of the set list so I wouldn't forget all the songs they sang (I'm old like that now...). They followed the Simple Minds with my ALL TIME FAVORITE Journey song: Anyway You Want It. Gawd that song makes me want to roll down my windows and drive fast. They didn't do The Promise and Summer of '69 which is too bad. But the Ugliest Prom Dress judging and the King/Queen spotlight dance took WAY too long. But still, it was a good solid set of Totally Radical 80's songs. And I've said it before and I'll say it again, DMQ sounds way different now and as a long time fan, they sounded Righteous last night!

Kim Virant from Lazy Susan and Chris Ballew from The President's of the United States both were special guests. Kim sang Total Eclipse of the Heart (Do you not just LOVE that video?) and Betty Davis Eyes while Chris acted not only as the Sex Ed and Driver's Ed teacher (at the last prom he was the principle, but budget cuts had him demoted - he said), he sang "I ran" (Flock of Seagulls Hair...OMG...totally 80's) and "Cars" (Did Gary Newman ever do any other songs but this? Or was he one of the 80's famous one-hit wonders?). Chris is quite the character I must say.

All in all, it was an extremely memorable prom. I didn't witness any crying in the girls bathroom so I can't confirm it was a COMPLETELY successful prom (all girls know what I mean there). But the tunes were hot, the venue rocked, and I left there with ringing ears and an 80's tune blaring in my head. As PMDude said yesterday, "The DMQ "Pretty In Pink" 80's Prom night is the perfect Jenn storm."

0 comments: