Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sticks and Stones

I've been called a lot of things in my life. Some good, some not so good. But there is one word that keeps popping up in rare, but way too familiar situations...the word snob.

I started wondering about the word and wondering if I was a snob. I mean I am particular about a few things, but does that make me a snob? Or just particular?

What started this disastrous thought process was my morning cuppa Joe. I was standing in line behind a woman who was dressed to the nines. She stood out because she was clearly not a Hotel CaliforniaSoft tech type which is what generally frequents my coffee watering hole. Anyhow she blurted out her order, which she had to repeat twice because of the enormity and complexity of it. Having been a barista for a couple of years, I knew the fear these types of drink orders produced. But that wasn't my first thought, my first thought was, "Man what a coffee snob." Then amused at myself I realized people had, recently, called me that as well. Funny that I put this woman with the complicated drink in that category, but not myself.

But am I a coffee snob? I think there's a distinct chance that I am.

I digress. I looked up "snob" in the dictionary. It's a noun, not too surprising. But the first definition is, "one who blatantly imitates, fawningly admires, or vulgarly seeks association with those regarded as social superiors". Eh, what's that? Well, I knew that wasn't me. So I read on.

Definition #2 (it was actually definition #3 as Definition #1 was Cobbler, which made no sense so I discounted it - ahem) "one who tends to rebuff, avoid, or ignore those regarded as inferior or one who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge or taste". That sounds more like it.

So I got to wondering, is being a snob about such things as coffee or food (the other instance in which "snob" was thrown at me...as in "I'm a food snob.")? Isn't appreciating better quality stuff really about just that "appreciating" quality? By desiring higher standards in things like my coffee make me a snob? Maybe.

While I contemplated the fact that the woman in front of me wasn't likely to get the coffee she wanted the way she wanted it because it was so complex, (incidentally the order was for: one quarter-decaf, quad grande, three pumps of almond, extra-chocolate drizzle, nonfat, dense foam, 185 degree, latte - I know, right?) I stood very confident that my simple Venti Vanilla Americano with Xtra room drink would be perfect. And yet, day 2 with a new barista and day 2 my coffee wasn't right. I found it amusing I was miffed that I had to deal with a substandard coffee drink. And that realization meant I could most definitely be put into the coffee snob category.

I'll stand firm though, and defend myself until my caffiene-drenched blood runs no more, that there is such a thing as BAD coffee. There are very few things I hold sacred...but my coffee is one of them. And for all those people out there who think they can't tell the difference between good coffee and bad coffee, I'm going to choose to ignore you and your inferiority! teehee...

So yah, I most likely am a coffee snob. And I'm most likely a food snob - to some extent. But the best part about knowing that is knowing that I'm okay with that. I could be called worse things, and probably am - behind my back. But that's okay. I'd likely just ignore the ones who insult me, considering they're inferior beings and all.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Gotta wonder if you are a coffee snob why do you still go to Starbucks? Don't get me wrong, I love that they were the pushing force to bring this ambrosia to the masses, but that was a long time ago... I do agree, there is bad coffee. Funny enough, "The Best" coffee I have ever had came from the Victorville Denny's on the 15, heading to Vegas, not all the time just the once. Strange but I remember it... best coffee ever.

Jenn from WA said...

Pere - Haha people always say that to me about Starbucks. The short answer is I like consistency. I know any Starbucks will normally make my drink the same. Interestingly enough the "best" cup of coffee I've had was at a little breakfast place in the U District called Jitterbug Cafe. They're gone now, but man was it good.

Al & Jo said...

Best coffee, eh? My mom's coffee was so strong it got up and chased you around the table and tackled you, and it was GREAT! Other than that, my first cup in the morning to get me going is the best coffee in the world!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Well Starbucks will give you that, not that it is really bad coffee I still go there time to time. And I see nothing wrong with being a coffee snob.