Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Be The Cure

When Blueberry was diagnosed with breast cancer 5 - almost 6 years ago - I was beside myself. I couldn't even believe that this was happening to 1) some so young and 2) someone my age.

She was fortunate to have stellar healthcare that really covered the majority of what she went through.

After she was clean and clear I started thinking about ways I could give back. It didn't dawn on me right away to volunteer for Susan G. Komen, and in fact I'm not sure what made me decide to do it, but I did. I don't get to volunteer as much as I would like, but I am proud to say I'm a part of the Puget Sound affiliate.

The affiliate has really made enormous strides in our community. Amoung the issues they focus on is helping those who don't have healthcare get through it. Blueberry was fortunate, but so many, especially low income, aren't and need that assistance.

If you have 5 minutes to spare, take a look at this video and all that the Puget Sound affiliate does. Some of the data they provide is shocking to me. I mean one woman every 3 minutes will be diagnosed with breast cancer and 1 woman will die ever 13 minutes. In the time it's taken me to write this blog, well, let's just say that's 2 or 3 too many.

0 comments: