Sunday, September 20, 2009

"Here's a riddle for you, Find the answer: There's a reason for the world, You and I"

Holy Sunny Sunday! What a whirlwind day. I took refuge in the thought that yesterday I didn't have to do a darn thing. And you know what? I didn't. Oh that's not completely true, I did do a load of laundry, and I did go up stairs a couple of times to pee...but other than that, the Big Black Beast of Burden and I sat on the couch and watched romantic comedies all day.

This morning I was up and out the door to volunteer for the Susan G. Komen Survivor Brunch. I missed last year's volunteer opportunity, but was thrilled to be able to help out this year. For several of their other events I've done photography of the volunteer staff. This year they had professional photographers so I got to actually do some of the work.


This year's event was on a Holland American cruise ship in Seattle. They sure know how to do it up right. I sat at the registration booth and help welcome in 400 Survivors and co-survivors for this brunch. I always get such a thrill when I see so many beautiful women in one place who have fought against a disease and have won, and sitting next to them is someone who was right there with them through the whole battle.


I got to not only sit next to Blueberry, but on the other side of me was a 29 year Survivor. She told me her story of courage and how different things were 29 years ago. Suddenly I was overcome by the view of just what Susan G. Komen has been fighting for all these years. Here I sat, a relatively healthy young woman who hasn't a clue what the battle is like, and next to me is a woman who fought this battle by herself 29 years ago with 2 small children. Strength. That's all I could think of...pure strength. I hope my strength is never tested like that.

As I said, I was sitting next to Blueberry. As each Survivor entered the ship they were given a raffle ticket - oh sorry they are "opportunity drawing tickets". Then you could purchase more tickets for $10 a piece. Blueberry decided to buy another ticket. The main drawing event was a 7 day cruise donated by Holland America. The cruise options were: the Caribbean, Alaska, New England or Mexico. They start reading the number. I'm leaning over Blueberry saying, "Oh my god. Oh my god." with each number that passes. Six numbers later and she's a winner! Yes that's right Blueberry won the 7 day cruise for 2 people. You gotta know I just stared at her and made her almost promise I'd be her +1 on this cruise. Of course I may now have to be nice to her for a bit.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

One question. Was it the ticket she was given......or the ticket she bought? xoxo (that's so cool she won)