Tuesday, September 08, 2009

The Kids Today...

I'm sure I am not the only adult who gets a wee bit disgusted at the sense of entitlement today's kids seem to have. I was so lucky to be witness a the decline of modern civilization today. And lucky you get to hear all about it.

I was at a Starbucks this afternoon - well of course I was at a Starbucks - and in front of me was a Mom and two young girls. About 10 years old I would think. Mom couldn't have been more than mid twenties. Anyhow they all ordered a drink. Three total. They went about their way and stood by the bar waiting patiently.

I ordered and joined in the wait. The three were giggling and laughing as the barista handed them one drink at a time. Then they continued to wait. My drink comes up. And they're still waiting. Finally the barista asked if they were waiting for a drink. The mom said, "Um yah we ordered a vanilla cream frap."

Now, at this point I KNEW they hadn't, but I figured I'd watch it play out as I stirred my coffee.

The barista apologized for missing the drink order and promptly went on making the drink. She asked the cashier about it, and she said they hadn't ordered that drink, but that maybe she missed hearing them.

By this time, I'm miffed because I knew they hadn't ordered it. And here they are making two employees feel like they screwed up.

So the barista handed them the drink and apologized again. The mom turned to the girls as the got a straw right by me and said, "See, that's how you get free drinks." giggle giggle

Can you believe that? She just taught her two daughters how to lie, steal and cheat all at once. No wonder our society is going to pot.

As I got out to my car I thought about my own lovely mom. And wondered what she'd do to me if I ever did that. I'll tell you what she'd do, she'd knock me into next week. And you know how I know she'd do that, because I grew up with consequences. Every think you do has a consequence and boy let me tell you I found out just what some of those were. If I had a nickle for every time I got "knocked into next week"...I'd be a very rich woman (who pays that nickle anyhow? Is there a general fund?)

All I'm saying is we're raising a generation of kids who apparently don't think they have to pay for things, or work for things. Makes me scare to think about what my old age will be like...oh wait...I'm already old.

In other news, the 3 Day is right around the corner. If you're feeling the itch to donate this year, the team could really use the donations. In fact, breast cancer can use your donation. Visit Saving Second Base's site - pick any of the Wraspir's to donate to.

2 comments:

Al & Jo said...

Good thing I wasn't there at Starbucks when that happened...I would have said something to the barista. Of course, I have never been known to keep my mouth shut....and yes, you would have never gotten away with that!!

Jamie Riche said...

Sad, sad, sad.