Thursday, July 15, 2010

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat

Fifteen quick years ago a small kitten was born. He didn't know at the time he'd be held up most high and spoiled rotten - he hoped, oh he hoped, but with so many brothers and sisters, he couldn't be sure he'd get the coveted spoiled spot.

He sat cleaning his silky black fur in the sunlight, when suddenly he saw her. An unsuspecting woman human who looked like she could be a sucker for cute. He decided he'd make his move. He sauntered nonchalantly over to her, looked her up and down with his big yellow eyes and decided to settle in for a nap on her polished penny loafers.

The rest, as they say is history!

PookieSnackenBurger turns 15 today.

(Aka: The Big Black Beast of Burden, Pook, Pookmeister, The PookMan, Snack-N-Poop, Hey!, Bubba.)


He was such a cute kitten. But he grew up and became that spoiled cat he had always hoped for.



He's definitely become like a child. I never could understand how parents could love children so much, until I had - well I didn't have - Pookie. He has had his adolescence. He's had his teenage years. And now he's having senior moments.

For example, he'll be sitting on my lap snoozing. He'll yawn, stretch, get up and walk into the kitchen and look back at me. I swear he's saying, "Why the hell did I come in here?"


He's had a rough life too. He's had to move a dozen times. Each time having to get used to new digs and drop more fur so it's "his". He's had to put up with me rough housing with him (though I've never really dressed him up. Well, okay, I did get him a Pumpkin hat for Halloween which he refused to wear.)

He's an old cat now. Sleeping 23 hours a day. His bones creak and he's getting skinny. But he still has that spirit of that spry kitten I brought home 15 years ago.

His antics are never ending. He's managed to sit on a candle. He's managed to get his claws locked shut in an amoire while attempting to get on top. He's freed himself and got stuck in a disposed dishwasher. Only to give me the look of "What took you so long?" when I found him.

If you've not ever had pets, it may be hard for you to understand, but they do bring a certain something to your life. I look forward to my daily conversations with him...he talks I listen. I am all to aware that his life is winding down, but I don't want to think about that now. Instead, I want to celebrate his 15th birthday!

No, he's not getting a cake. He's getting Glucosamine / Chondroitin and Salmon oil in his dinner instead! Old cat, remember!

0 comments: